New Discussion юеВ

Re: Configuration Raid1 with P420 controller without losing Data

SOLVED
Go to solution
RACHID_Fr
Occasional Contributor

Configuration Raid1 with P420 controller without losing Data

Dear all ,
I have an HPE proliant DL380e Gen8, the motherboard and the Raid P420 controller are damaged, the server has 2 disks of 2TB each in Raid1.
so I am forced to change the server with other DL380e.
My question and how I can use the same drives in raid1 on the new server without losing the system and data.
6 REPLIES 6
Robertomcat
Regular Advisor

The configuration of a raid is always stored on the hard drives, so if the hard drives are not damaged when you add them to the other controller in good condition, you would have to detect them. It is always advisable to have a backup before doing anything.

RACHID_Fr
Occasional Contributor

Thx roberto
You have an idea of the steps flowing to create Raid1 with the smart array P420 controller.
Robertomcat
Regular Advisor

If it is to create a new raid 1, the steps are very intuitive from the SSA. If it is to migrate the disks from one controller to the other, it has been many years since I did that kind of migration, and the SSA software will have changed something, but in essence it will be the same, you will have to recognize the disks in raid 1 (always talking about that the controllers have to be always of the same brand).

RACHID_Fr
Occasional Contributor

yes indeed I have the same controller model, so I can create a new raid1 with SSA with my old disks without losing anything.

OR controller detect automaticly disks and detect Raid1 also.

RACHID_Fr
Occasional Contributor
Solution

Dear all;

in my case the solution is :

controller detect automaticly disks and detect Raid1 also because i have the same new controller model .

when i connected disks the controller detect automaticly the Raid1 configuration and load system.

RACHID_Fr
Occasional Contributor

Hi all

this solution is valid for me because i changed server withe the same model and same controller.

So disks is automaticly detected and recognized