ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753701 Members
4955 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Constellation ES.2 Showing up as invalid Blocksize in the serial number field in ACU

kcam001
Frequent Visitor

Constellation ES.2 Showing up as invalid Blocksize in the serial number field in ACU

Hi Folks. Got a bit of a head scratcher and I'm still fairly new to servers. I've recently got a hold of a 3TB seagate hard drive from ebay to test out a new storage solution I have planned for the main server here and I'm currently doing this on a test server lab I've setup. I have 2 3TB drives, one is an ES.3 and another which is an ES.2. The ES.3 works fine and is able to beconfigured as a RAID 0, however the ES.2 is not detected at all and will come up "invalid Blocksize in the serial number field if the drive replaces the ES.3. The drive is a 3TB model ST33000650SS. Both drives are attached to a smart array P410. I've looked arround to try and see if theres any compatability issue with the drive and the raid card but haven't been able to find any relavent info. Also I was also thinking about getting the P420 to try and solve this but also want to make sure its not the drive. I've attached a screenshot as well

5525241.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Constellation ES.2 Showing up as invalid Blocksize in the serial number field in ACU

Looks like the drive is formatted incorrectly?  520 vs 512.

kcam001
Frequent Visitor

Any way to sort this as it also doesn't even get detected in orca when F8 is pressed

kcam001
Frequent Visitor

Managed to get the P420 controller in today however the drive in question is still not showing in orca when I press F8. What's odd is that the drive will still spin when it's first turned on. I'm in agreement somewhat that the drive may have a 520 or similar block size rather than the default 512 but I see no way of getting it changed. Looked up some specs on the drive and it looks like it can be changed. As a guess can this be done in the hpacucli utility or do I need some unix emulator to do it?

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

> I see no way of getting it changed. can this be done in the hpacucli utility or do I need some unix emulator to do it?

Not sure, you need to format it with a different blocksize.

FYI: 520 is used for DIF protection.  It's a checksum.

Does this help?

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/how-to-reformat-hdd-ssd-to-512b-sector-size.4968/