New Discussion

Re: Created Raid 1, but shows two separate hard drives

SOLVED
Go to solution
emammadov
Occasional Contributor

Created Raid 1, but shows two separate hard drives

Hello,

I have created Raid 1 with two 500Gb HDDs on HP Proliant ML310e Gen8. Raid controller showed it has been succesfully created and disk size is 465Gb. But when i want to install VMware ESXi 5.5, it shows two separate hard drives. What could be the problem with Raid controller? HP B120i Raid Controller.

Best regards,

Elvin Mammadov

4 REPLIES 4
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro
Solution

You need to install the HPE ESXi image as the RAID controller requires a special driver. Without the driver the OS reports two separate disks.  This controller is software based RAID, all raid functionality is provided by the driver

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
emammadov
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your reply. I will try it at work again.
We have the same issue on the other server, HP Proliant DL120 G5. Though I have created Raid 1, either Windows Server or VMware ESXI see 2 hard drives instead of 1 hard drive. What causes this to happen?
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

The DL120 G5 is the same answer.  The embedded SATA controller is a software RAID controller and requires a special driver that provides the RAID functionality.  To avoid this you need either an E Series or P series based Smart Array controller which are hardware RAID controllers.  Most OS's have drivers to support the hardware based controllers.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
emammadov
Occasional Contributor

From where can I download thatt special driver that supports this software Raid controller? I have also tried HPE ESXI on this server, but no result.