ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752817 Members
4418 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Difference between HP NC550SFP and NC523SFP 10GB Network Adapters & Reason NC550SFP Disconti

Lawliss
Occasional Visitor

Difference between HP NC550SFP and NC523SFP 10GB Network Adapters & Reason NC550SFP Discontinued

I am currently comparing 10GB SFP+ Network Adaptors for our ProLiant G7 series servers.  It appears that there are four (4) HP 10GB SFP+ network adapters available and I am trying to figure out the difference between the following two (2) adapters:  (i) HP NC550SFP and (ii) HP523SFP.  Both are 10GB duel fiber adapters and the data sheets suggest that both have the same features, capabilities, peformance, etc.  I just can't seem to figure out which model would be best for our ProLiant G7 servers - from a pure technical standpoint.   However, it appears that HP is disconntinuing the HP550SFP adapter and this makes my question somewhat moot (as I am definately going to go with the HP NC523SFP adapter for all of our G7 servers).  Nonetheless, I would like to know/understand the specific differences between the two (2) adapters so that: (i) I can have piece of mind since I could not find the answer on my own; (ii) I can learn from same for when I am sourcing new network server adapters in the future.

Also, for the same reasons listed above, I would like to know the reason that HP is discontinuing the NC550SFP network adapter.

If anyone knows the answers to either of these questions (or has any information that can help me find the answer), I would most appreciate your response/input.  Thanks!

Lawliss

ps.  Just FYI, we are already using the Intel 10GB X520 server adapter in two (2) of our ProLiant G7 servers and they have worked flawless for the past six (6) months.  While I could always stick with same for the rest of our G7 servers, I wanted to give the HP brand 10GB network adapters a try to see if they perform equal to or better than the Intel X520 series 10GB network adapters (for SFP+).  Thx!

1 REPLY 1
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: Difference between HP NC550SFP and NC523SFP 10GB Network Adapters & Reason NC550SFP Disconti

NC550SFP - Emulex chipset
NC523SFP - Qlogic chipset

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!