1751937 Members
4625 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL 180 G6 iLO bypass login

JiriKubes
Occasional Visitor

DL 180 G6 iLO bypass login

Hello, I have old DL 180 G6 server with a broken motherboard (not responding, iLO not working, etc.). I´ve bought a used motherboard for this server and assembled it into the case. Unfortunately, the server is not booting, it starts the fans, and after a while, the red health LED starts blinking. But, iLO on the new motherboard is working, it gets an IP address from a DHCP and I can browse the iLO login page. But, I can´t log in, because obviously, I don´t know the Administrator password for this motherboard. I´ve found on the internet, that there is a possibility to change pin configuration, so I will be able to log in to iLO without a password, but I can´t find out which pin should I activate on DL 180 G6. Can anybody help me with this issue? I hope, that iLO logs will tell me more, why my server is not booting.

Thanks

Jiri

6 REPLIES 6
active-Pro
HPE Pro

Hi There.

If you have access to the system physically you can Use the System Maintenance Jumper Setting (J27) located on the system board to reset the password.

(J27) is located on the exact opposite side of CPU2 or around that location, that should have a label. use the jumper to bypass the password and then once it is cleared/reset, remove the jumper again to enforce password security.

I am an HPE Employee.
Regards.

I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Accept or Kudo

JiriKubes
Occasional Visitor

Hello,

thanks for the reply. Yes, I have physical access to the computer. In Administration and Service Guide, I can see the description of J27 System maintenance switch as follows:

• A Clear CMOS
  • B Clear password
  • C Recovery BIOS
  • D Recovery BMC
  • E RTC reset

Which one should I activate? And am I correct, that I should turn off the server, interrupt electricity source, activate the correct switch, restore electricity source, wait for iLO to boot up, open iLO web page in browser and iLO will automatically log in, change password accordingly and once again interrupt electricity source, clear the switch and restore electricity source? I am asking like this because I was playing with the J27 switch, but with no luck. I´ve always ended up with iLO login page.

Thanks.

Jiri

FabioC1
HPE Pro

Hello 

Do you could try create a new account in Light Out Configuration by BIOS

See em Manual pag 9, 10

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02752580

FabioC1 - HPE Pro

Accept or Kudo

JiriKubes
Occasional Visitor

Hello,  unfortunately, I can´t configure anything in BIOS, because the server does not proceed to POST and further.  When power on button is pressed, the fans start cooling at 100 % and then red health LED starts blinking. No video output is generated. So I am hoping that I will find something useful in iLO logs. Unfortunately, because the motherboard was purchased as used, I don´t have the information about default iLO Administrator user password. So I need to get myself into iLO GUI without knowing the Administrator password and without the need to configure anything in BIOS. I´ve searched the internet and I´ve found that on HP servers there is an option to turn on some switch and then iLO gets logged in without a password. So I am looking for that switch on my server, but with no luck. If you can suggest some other solution for me on how to solve the primary problem (non-booting server without any video output and therefore without any message), then we can skip the iLO thing.

Thanks.

Jiri

FabioC1
HPE Pro

JiriKubes if the equipment show Video, when power on try do do minimal configuration

1 - memory

1 - processador

disconect cable of Smart Array.

If equipment show video image, put others parts again, if not show video can be that system board it is fault

FabioC1 - HPE Pro

Accept or Kudo

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

The DL160 G6 uses a LO100i instead of iLO.  The service guide provides instructions on how to reset the BMC, but not having worked with that unit in many years I don't recall how the BMC responds with a dead system. Unlike iLO, I'm not sure it is a seperate processor on the system board

Service Guide https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=3884339&docId=emr_na-c01746994

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!