108788 Solutions
New Discussion ī„‚

Re: DL120 G9 Noise due fans stuck at 40%

sgiordy
Occasional Advisor

Hi Piotr

Yes we tried :-(

Cooling has tree options: normal, increased, maximum ... with the last two the fans goes up to 100%

Power profile: minimum, maximum, balanced... but none of these has effects on fan

PiterParker
Valued Contributor

Hmm, 

I am not sure what to advise. I believe your concern is that fans are not going lower than 40%?
I believe it could be a problem with the design of the revision model. 

Few months ago we had a problem with 4 x HP DL380 G9 servers, where after shut down machine, server was down but connected to the power so it was in standby mode and in that mode FAN in slot 6 was continuously spinning. We had the same problem on all 4 machines recently ordered that time and all has the same problem. We were running cases, updating SPP, changing motheboard and no solution... 

sgiordy
Occasional Advisor

Yes, the noise is unbearable!

In the same room we have many other servers, including older HP, and it's all quiet!

Entering the room make you thinking about some kind of issue, instead is it "normal" for these servers to keep the fans at 40%. I hope that a new firmware can fix the problem... Jimmy says that his DL120G9 goes at 11% of fans

Moreover the power consumption... much efforts to have low power CPU and after all we waste energy to move air! :-D