1752801 Members
5984 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

DL160g8 Unable to load into Windows after install

Milkman00
Occasional Contributor

DL160g8 Unable to load into Windows after install

I feel ridiculous asking this question, as I am sure it is something simple, but I can't figure it out.,

I have a DL160g8 server with a B120i RAID controller.  I have it setup as RAID 0 (yes, I know, but this is what I need for my setup)..  I have 4 1TB drives setup, but right now all I have is an array of 200GB created.

Windows 2012r2 loads up fine from my iLO virtual CDROM, it sees the RAID array fine (when I do an advanced setup, I can select the 200GB drive to install Windows onto), it installs all of the files on the drive just fine.  It then reboots and I get an error right away that winload.exe is not working with status 0xc00000e9. The info is "An unexpected I/O error has occurred.".

I feel like there is something wrong with the way it is being installed where Windows is not realizing it is a RAID array.  I have tried the following

• Boot from the CD, load the RAID driver, and tried startup repair (failed.  The log said it couldn't find the boot program or something like that)
  • Went to a command prompt from the CD, and tried to run the various bootrec commands (/fixmbr, /rebuildbcd, etc.)
  • Checked the BIOS to ensure it was in RAID mode and the hard drive was the first boot device
  • I have done lots of other things, but can't think of anything key at the moment.

I have tried to reinstall Windows 2012r2 numerous times and the result is the same each time.  Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
krasinka1409
HPE Pro

Re: DL160g8 Unable to load into Windows after install

Hi, 

did you try installing via Intelligent Provisioning? 

Thank you
I am an HPE Employee
Milkman00
Occasional Contributor

I tried, the problem is that IP isn't detecting my media correctly.

Milkman00
Occasional Contributor

Here is another interesting point.  Just to see if there was anything wrong with my hardware, I installed ESXi 6.5u1 for HP servers, and it worked perfect.  Installed fine, and on reboot it worked perfect.