New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL170e G6 iLO, unable to boot from virtual media

SOLVED
Go to solution
spidernik84
Occasional Advisor

DL170e G6 iLO, unable to boot from virtual media

Hello everyone!

we're encountering an odd problem with our new DL170e. We're trying to boot an iso via iLO web interface, going to "Virtual KVM/Media", "virtual media".

The system completely ignores the mounted ISO.

Here's what we did:

- correct boot order: checked (set cd/dvd and removable media at first and second place)

- bootable ISO: checked

- different ISO: tested

- pressed the "connect" button in the java interface: yes

- usb keyboard or other peripheral attached to server: none (it was mentioned as a possible cause of problems in these forums)

- usb enabled in bios: yes

- different OS tested: yes, windows 7 enterprise x64

- upgraded bios: yes

Here follows the summary of our server specifications:

IPMI Version: 2.0

Firmware Version: 4.22

Hardware Version: 1.0

Description: DL170e G6

Java(TM) Plug-in: 1.6.0_24

Browser: opera 11.50, Chrome 9.0

Any clue? Seems like a pretty common problem, altough I did not find any suitable and official solution :(

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
spidernik84
Occasional Advisor

Err, some further details: I'm reading around that port 17988 must be opened. Is this true for all versions of iLO? I tried a tcpdump on that port but I can't see any traffic passing, not a single packet!
Thanks again
spidernik84
Occasional Advisor

Another update:
The problem is occurring also on a windows xp pro x64, using Internet Explorer 8.
I tried downgrading the JVM to the bare minimum (1.4.2_19) but still no go.

And please, could this thread be moved to the right section?
PC Software > ITRC remote lights-out mgmt (iLO 2, iLO, RILOE II) Forum

Thank you!
spidernik84
Occasional Advisor

Another update: I tried to skip the network altogether by connecting the laptop straight to the ilo with an ethernet cable. Same result, unfortunately.
I even removed the vlan configuration (we used a vlan for management).

I'm losing hope now...
spidernik84
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Hello, finally the problem has been solved.

We managed to make the virtual media feature to work from a Windows Server machine located in the same datacenter, thereby skipping all the network.

Seems like the problem could be related to blocked ports AND incompatible OS (we've been using ubuntu throughout the test).

Also, keep in mind that the ISO is successfully mounted only if its name changes to the ip address of your local machine in the virtual media applet (see screenshot).

Also, on our Windows Server we had to mount the ISO TWICE for it to show as correctly mounted.

One more thing: if you're using LO100 you have to use java 1.4.2_13 (exactly that version, not any other, even minor), else the virtual media will keep silently disconnecting.

By the way, the correct ports to open are 5901 TCP and UDP, as stated in HP official bulletin:

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=440192&prodTypeId=329290&objectID=c02821408

Cheers! 

Alican

Thank you very much spidernik84. I've had same problem today and I spent quite a long time to figure it out.

I just turn off my firewall and downgraded Java. everything is fine right now .

Alican Cakil