5857 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL20 Gen10 - M.2 NVME high FAN speed

marcellinus
Occasional Contributor

DL20 Gen10 - M.2 NVME high FAN speed

Hi

I have installed a NVME in the DL20 Gen10 Server for the Operating system. However, when the NVME is installed, Speed of Fan 1 & 2 is never below 71% (which is quite noisy) despite the temperature of the drive. Is there a setting to mangage this a bit mor "noise freindly" ?

To confirm, if I remove the NVME and boot the OS from a drive bay, all is fin, fans regulate depending on load and temperature.

Kind regards

Marcellinus

6 REPLIES 6
KevinSpringPM
HPE Pro

Is it a 3rd party SSD? That'll do it.

I'm an HPE Product Manager

Accept or Kudo

marcellinus
Occasional Contributor

Hi

It is a Genuine HPE component, I use drive 875490-B21.

Is it maybe required to have the dedicated ILO port installed? I use the M.2 directly attached to the Mainboard, not having this ilo board in between.

Kr

Marcellinus

KevinSpringPM
HPE Pro

Yes, the dedicated iLO port is required, that's what gives you a usable m.2 slot. What's on the motherboard isn't made to plug an SSD into.

Accept or Kudo

marcellinus
Occasional Contributor

Thank you. 

This is strange, the service manual states that a M.2 can be installed in this slot directly, and also has specific mounting positions. If this is true, the manual is WRONG there.

However, I am going to try again with the dedicated ILO port installed.

I checked the SmartStorage Administrator, the drive shows Temperature 33 deg. C. so technically all works fine and there is no reason for the high fan speed, thoug!

Kr

Marcellinus

KevinSpringPM
HPE Pro

I do see what you're seeing in the service manual, which doesn't match the rules in quickspecs, but I think I've identified the main issue. That slot is for an NVME M.2 drive, and you're using a SATA M.2 SSD. The only supported SSD in that slot or the iLO kit is 875583-B21 which is NVME. In order to use your SATA M.2, you'll need to add HPE Universal SATA HH M.2 Kit (878783-B21) which occupies a PCIe slot.

Accept or Kudo

Artstar

Hi Marcellinus,

Did you end up succeeding in reducing your fan speed? Curious to know what your findings were.