4841 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL360 G10 servers and lack of support

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@bkesting1 wrote:

I have gotten a DL360 Gen10 to boot off USB.  Just need to make sure it is setup for UEFI and the USB stick must be formatted FAT32 (NTFS will not work). 

If you use RUFUS to create the USB key, set the Partition Scheme to 'GPT partition scheme for UEFI' and the File System type can be set to NTFS.  I recently loaded Server 2016 on an ML110 Gen10 for one of the marketing guys using this method

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
BFH_2017
Occasional Advisor

I've used Rufus and it will boot to the disk and I was able to get ILO working, however to do the install I need to do, business demands it, I can't find any drivers for the win2k8 r2 OS. And again, when I try searching HP's drivers I don't find anything for it or others.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@BFH_2017 wrote:

I've used Rufus and it will boot to the disk and I was able to get ILO working, however to do the install I need to do, business demands it, I can't find any drivers for the win2k8 r2 OS. And again, when I try searching HP's drivers I don't find anything for it or others.

Glad you've got it booting. As I stated above, if you look at the certification and support matrix using win2k8r2 as the OS you will not see any Gen10 servers listed, as win2k8r2 is not a supported OS platform on Gen10

BFH_2017
Occasional Advisor

Well booting, that's another thing.

I still am unable to change the time zone. Everytime I try thru the intelligent provision option, I change the time zone, click submit, then it times out trying to connect to who knows what and gives me an error that no nic is detected. Why do I need a network connection to set the time zone? Even when trying to get into the intelligent provisioning settings it's trying to connect to who know what.
Personally I like to controll what my server does and connects to, but it looks like with the various bios configuration options on this box that's not an option for the customer to manage.

There are still other issues with this system and honestly it's been the biggest pain in the butt of any server I've ever worked on.
We are talking with our rep to possibly look at swapping this out with a G9.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

I haven't worked a lot with IP and Gen10, but one thing I noticed on a system I looked at the other day was a message popped up saying the time zone couldn't be changed while iLO was configured to use DHCP (I had no networking plugged into anything), I'll assume that is what you are also seeing. 

BFH_2017
Occasional Advisor

Actually no, I found that issue a couple of days ago and fixed it. Ilo is set static, but when trying to set the time zone and time thru intelligent provision as soon as I hit submit it tries to connect to the internet and then gives an error message stating "failed" network not configured and it keeps going back to the wrong time zone and subsequently the wrong time on the server.

I was finally able to set it thru the bios setup, after several tries. The bios setup option was to use local time and then set the time. The intelligent provision would not allow me to set it as I wanted to. However the intelligent provisioning still shows the wrong time zone. I'll have to monitor the server before I release it to the production team, because this morning when I came it it was many hours off what it should have been.

PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

I'm working with an ML350 Gen10 and I experience similar problems.

At least I got Windows 2012 working... after Intelligent Provisioning crashed the first time I used it. The second time it worked and it accepted the Win2012.iso image on my USB stick.
What not worked was entering the Windows password into the HP setup. It always said "password not equal"... but it can be entered later. (see my post from last year: https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/Proliant-Gen-10-A-box-full-of-errors/m-p/7025035#M164590)

Booting from USB seems to be a much more complicated story. I have diagnostics USB sticks that I use everywhere... Lenovo, Dell, HP... and even the newest machines are able to boot from them when I set it to BIOS/Legacy boot mode.

Not so on the Gen10. You can choose "one time legacy boot" - doesn't work
You can set the server to permanently boot in legacy mode -  no go

Someone wrote that (USB) NTFS filesystem is not bootable? I have FAT32 and it doesn't work either.

So if someone finds out HOW TO BOOT A GEN10 FROM USB.... please write it here  :-(

"If it seems illogical... you just don't have enough information"
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I successfully booted Gen10 servers many times, in legacy and UEFI mode from USB.

An USB must always be FAT32, not only for HPE servers.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

I managed it now to boot an UEFI bootable USB stick (ML350 Gen10). But legacy boot is not working. I tried different working USB sticks.... I see them blinking very shortly and then the server jumps to the hard disk.

I made this many times on Gen9 servers, "one time legacy boot", automatic reset, done. But not on the Gen10.

Is it possible this is because all external USB connectors are USB3? maybe I should try one of the internal USB's.

"If it seems illogical... you just don't have enough information"
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I would start with a known to work image - a current SPP.

The SPP works in legacy and UEFI mode.

Other images may fail for various reasons, for example secure boot enabled etc ...

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!