4221 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL360 G5 Hard Drive Bay 5 & 6 not showing up

SOLVED
Go to solution
B.Radtke

DL360 G5 Hard Drive Bay 5 & 6 not showing up

I have a DL360 G5 and am having problems getting the system to recognize the hard drives in Bay 5 & Bay 6. Bay 1-4 is fine.
How do I get these to show up in Array Manager?
12 REPLIES 12
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello,

Are you using one of these controllers :
E200i, P400i, (or P800, P600, P400 or E200)
??

Then You must purchase upgrade kit (s) to support all six bays. This information is documented in DL360 G5 QuickSpec and User Guide.

For Example:

With Base model (P400i) you may choose to buy â SAS Mini 4x to Mini 4x cableâ option kit (option part number 399546-B21) to support six hard drives User with Entry model (E200i) may choose to buy P400i kit and â SAS Mini 4x to Mini 4x cableâ option kit (option part number 399546-B21) to support six hard drives.
NOTE: E200i support only 4 hard drives.

For correct cable or option part number please read DL360 G5 quickspec and User Guide.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12476_div/12476_div.html

Regards,
James.
Mi6t0
Trusted Contributor

Hello ;)

A little correction -
I suppose that you have an E200 controller. Yes, it originally supports 4 HDDs but if you installed the so called BBWC (the cache module) you will be able to access all the 6 drives.

With cache module this controller supports up to 6 HDDs and you can use raid 0. Otherwise - 4 hdds and only raid 0, 1 und 1+0.

Hope this will help you!

Regards,

Mi6t0
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Incorrect !!

Usage of BBWC can "never" enable usage of additional drives. Its used for a COMPLETELY different purpose; & no where related to enabling drive bays !!!!!!!!

Regards,
James.
B.Radtke

Thanks James. It so happens that my purchasing agent shipped the correct part. I'm good to go.

Thanks!
BOYAN BIANDOV
Regular Advisor

I know this is a 10 year old post but I am holed of what seems to be an effort to NOT mention the truth here; maybe it's me.

The 6 drive cage is PHYSICALLY separated on the inside between the upper 2 and lower 4 drives. That's why the cage has 2 SAS ports on the back; one for the lower and another connector for the upper row.

Yes you do need a second SAS cable which must be connected between cage port 2 and SmartArray controller second port in order for you to see the other 2 drives.

~B

Wiley_One
Occasional Visitor

Yes, I know this thread is 10 years old, but so is my DL360 G5.

Looking at the front panel, there are plastic louvered covers where bays 5 and 6 are supposed to be.   Do the covers pop out to exposed two more drive slots?

I have the E200i controller.   The firmware has been updated to latest.  What is the largest drive that I can install?   Will it accept the 900 GB drive, part number  619463-001 or  619291-B21 ?

Is it true that the E200i will never be able to control 6 drives?   but, do I also have an E200 in this machine?  The Smart Array Management utility shows 4 drives on Port 1i and zero drives on Port2i.

If I buy the 399546-B21 kit, what will I get?  A cable, and what else?  It sounds like I might need a P400i controller. 

What I really need is a new server, but management would rather spend more $$ on this one.  

BOYAN BIANDOV
Regular Advisor

@Wiley_One I can only answer the questions that I have direct evidence for (unlike what most IT dudes would do lol):

399546-B21 is just a cable, nothing else. It connects the 2-bay part onto the second port on the Smart Array controller.

I don't know what is the largest drive you can run; I run 146G 432320-001 and all 6 drives run on P400i. I don't know about the E200i. 

Physically speaking this is what the contraption looks like after you've installed kit 399546-B21: (attachement)

LukeCain
Occasional Visitor

This is a really old thread, but I have a question.  The picture furnished shows the cable running from the port nearest the back of the server to bays 5 and 6, and the cable on the port nearest the front of the computer running to bays 1-4 (I think).  My server has the port nearest the back connected to 1-4 and the four drives work fine.  I purchased drives and a cable and connected the cable from the port nearest the front to the port in the left front corner (bays 5 and 6).  There doesn't seem to be any power to the drives (no lights) and they can't be seen when going through the F8 routine at startup.

Am I missing something?

BOYAN BIANDOV
Regular Advisor

@LukeCain I don't think it matters which port goes into which section of the disk cage, you not having power is a suspect - I do not recall having to connect any additional power cables to make this work but it's been a long time and I won't rule that out. You were very particular as to observe that my picture and your setup are backwards in terms of which port goes into which disk bay section. As a matter of test just reverse the cables and see if you get different results. It can't hurt anything. But honestly I doubt that port/bay selection is the root cause of not getting power on the bays 5-6.

I won't promise anything but I could take a look at that very same box and see if the two bay sections have independent power cables but I do not remember fiddling with anything else back when I got bays 5-6 working (which is when I posted to this discussion)