5668 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 G7 no snmp through iLO

JBruyet
Frequent Advisor

DL360 G7 no snmp through iLO

Good mornin all,

I have a DL360 G7 running as a VMware host. I have configured snmp through the ESXi software and that is working fine--I can run an snmpwalk and I'm pulling the information. However, when I run an snmpwalk through the iLO port I get this:

Timeout: No Response from 192.168.2.57

I've tried running this with snmp pass-thru enabled and with it disabled but no joy either way.

Unfortunately the rest of my hosts are G9s so I don't have anything to compare the setting to. I did have some G7 machines as VMware hosts a few years ago and I was pulling information from them through Nagios which uses snmp.

Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions or recommendations on how I can get snmp configured so I can get the information I'm after? This is so my Observium server can see into it and alert me when problems arise.

Thanks,

Joe B

9 REPLIES 9
BOYAN BIANDOV
Regular Advisor

I am on almost the same box - ProLiant DL380p Gen8

All I had to do is populate the public read community string; then SNMP walking just started working

The SNMP Alert Destination(s): on the picture is NOT relevant to snmp-walk; it's for traps.

snmp.png

JBruyet
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Boyan. I just looked and I see I neglected to mention that this server is running iLO3. I checked this morning and my firmware is at the current version. Anyone else? 

Thanks,

Joe B

BOYAN BIANDOV
Regular Advisor

You made me curious so I did few tests; I have several boxes running iLO3 v1.88 - results. iLO on the windows boxes just passes SNMP throuigh to Windows so when I snmp-walk the iLO IP I get the response from Windows OS.

On ESXi however when I hit the iLO IP with snmp walk it times out even though ESXi itself is configured and responds fine when snmp walked.

The iLO3 config is pretty simple; as shown here. I think it has something to do with what OS is running on the iLO3 box:

ilo3.png

JBruyet
Frequent Advisor

Yep, that's my interface. Since your ESXi is giving you the same results I'm getting I suppose I should just call it a day. Although it does make me wonder why it won't work...

Thanks,

Joe B

JBruyet
Frequent Advisor

I connected up another ESXi host running on a ProLiant DL360 G7 and it has the same issue -- snmp works just fine for the ESXi but the pass-through isn't working.

Sigh,

Joe B

BOYAN BIANDOV
Regular Advisor

@JBruyet Hey J any update? I've been observing the same behaviour event with the latest HPE custom image for ESXi 6 -- VMware-ESXi-6.0.0-Update3-9313334-HPE-preGen9-600.9.8.5.4-Sep2018.iso 

SNMP just isn't passed via iLO to the underlying OS which is ESXi in this case. Of course if I hit ESXi's own IP (not the iLO IP) with snmp-walk it walks just fine but not via the iLO IP. That is exactly the distinction here - if Windows OS was running on the bare metal then walking the iLO IP would produce results as if Windows was being walked using it's OS IP address so somehow iLO would pass SNMP to the OS * ONLY * if said OS is happens to be Windows? I haven't tested how this would behave if Linux was the underlying OS but maybe someone out there has? Either way though it doesn't help me with the ESXi issue...

Very strange behaviour!

testmado662
Regular Advisor

Hello,

I get the same problem with ILO3. I've installed last firmware version and same behaviour. I can configure IP @ of monitoring server but I can't define Public for SNMP V2. ILO SNMP can't connect to server. MIB walker don't work too.

As OS is an Hypervisor I can't configure SNMP from OS.

Whaht solution have you implement ?

Thanks

JBruyet
Frequent Advisor

@ testmado662 -- I have given up on trying to get SNMP through iLO on these servers. I'm slowly replacing them with new hardware so I'm just waiting until they are all gone from my network.

Joe B

JBruyet
Frequent Advisor

@Boyan -- Sorry I didn't include in that reply. Again, I'm slowly getting rid of my G7's so eventually this problem will take care of itself.

Thanks,

Joe B