108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL360 G9 internal USB 3.0 questions

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tom Lyczko
Super Advisor

DL360 G9 internal USB 3.0 questions

What kinds of USB sticks can be placed into the DL360 G9 internal USB 3.0 ports??

I ask because I want to get USB sticks for vSphere log storage, which must be separate from the local SD cards upon which vSphere is installed and running.

I am thinking of 32 or 64 GB SanDisk sticks.

Does HP sell any over-priced USB storage that one can use in these internal USB 3.0 slots??

Any suggestions on how to get vSphere to recognize these sticks as local internal storage??

Thank you, Tom

BTW most of HPE's website/forum/etc. does NOT work correctly in Chrome, why can't this be fixed in this day and age of cross-browser compatibility??

3 REPLIES 3
Lucy_Ellis
Advisor

Re: DL360 G9 internal USB 3.0 questions

Hi Tom,

I got the following answers from my USB expert.  Would you like me to reach out to the vSphere leaders?

Replies below,

What kinds of USB sticks can be placed into the DL360 G9 internal USB 3.0 ports??

>> Any USB 2.0/3.0 compatible device.

I ask because I want to get USB sticks for vSphere log storage, which must be separate from the local SD cards upon which vSphere is installed and running.

I am thinking of 32 or 64 GB SanDisk sticks.

Does HP sell any over-priced USB storage that one can use in these internal USB 3.0 slots??

>> No, we donтАЩt have 32 or 64GB. Max capacity supported is 8GB

>> HP 8GB USB Enterprise Mainstream Flash Media Drive Key Kit 737953-B21

>> Alternatively we have 32GB SD and microSD cards.

Any suggestions on how to get vSphere to recognize these sticks as local internal storage??

>> I think this is more of a vSphere or OS question, at hardware level all the USB devices are abstract and could be used for any purpose.

Thanks,

Chetan

If you would like me to connect you with a sales representative or pre-sales resource; please let me know.

Tom Lyczko
Super Advisor
Solution

Thank you, no.

VMware recommends putting the logs into a datastore when using tiny 8 GB USB chips/cards to contain the hypervisor, so I did this.

Please close this case.

Thank you, Tom

Muhieddine
Occasional Advisor

Dear Sir,

I wouldn't recommend using USB storage, as we had so many issues running ESXi on them, tried so many brands. All fail to stay connected to any of the USB ports, maybe its just the USB port but anyways ESXi would just crash, so we moved to micro SD from Kingston and now its running like a charm.

Regards