ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752579 Members
3066 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360e gen8: "Error: 1611-Fan 8 failure". Server shutdown and does not boot!

SOLVED
Go to solution
BsNRhnSCb5
Occasional Contributor

DL360e gen8: "Error: 1611-Fan 8 failure". Server shutdown and does not boot!

I have a DL360e gen8 server with four fans in it. One of the fans failed, causing the server to shut down with the error "1611-Fan 8 failure" (i.e., the server didn't shut down due to high temperatures, but simply because a fan failed). The server no longer boots because of the same error.

I really don't want my servers to shut down upon a single fan failure. Is there a setting anywhere that lets me configure this? Ideally, they should only shut down on high temperatures (alternatively on multiple simultaneous fan failures).

Firmware as shown in this screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/EAgsmS1.png

9 REPLIES 9
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: DL360e gen8: "Error: 1611-Fan 8 failure". Server shutdown and does not boot!

@BsNRhnSCb5 wrote:

I have a DL360e gen8 server with four fans in it. One of the fans failed, causing the server to shut down with the error "1611-Fan 8 failure" (i.e., the server didn't shut down due to high temperatures, but simply because a fan failed). The server no longer boots because of the same error.

I really don't want my servers to shut down upon a single fan failure. Is there a setting anywhere that lets me configure this? Ideally, they should only shut down on high temperatures (alternatively on multiple simultaneous fan failures).

Firmware as shown in this screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/EAgsmS1.png

According to the quickspecs you can add an optional redundent fan kit. 
HPE DL360e Gen8 Redundant Fan Kit (661530-B21)

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04128167.pdf

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
BsNRhnSCb5
Occasional Contributor

>optional redundant fan kit

I.e., installing an additional fan. Is this really the only solution though?

If so, this seems like flawed design. Why would anyone want their server to shut down automatically (and not boot again) if only one out of four fans fail (as long as there are no temperature issues)?

ronissac
Trusted Contributor

Hi BsNRhnSCb5 ,

I see that ILO firmware is 1.22 . ILO manages the Fans in  proliant servers  and is essential in managing the cooling inside the server. 

The current  ILO firmware on your server is more than 25 versions behind the latest Version available. Having firmwares this low is known to cause such instabilities within the server. Please run the latest SPP and attempt to update all the firmware on the server.

if the issue persists after updating the firmware, Please log a support ticket with HPE for further investigation. 

Regards

Ronny 

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@BsNRhnSCb5 wrote:

>optional redundant fan kit

I.e., installing an additional fan. Is this really the only solution though?

If so, this seems like flawed design. Why would anyone want their server to shut down automatically (and not boot again) if only one out of four fans fail (as long as there are no temperature issues)?

Not a design flaw. The system is designed to cool properly with a minimum of 4 fans. If 4 fans are not functional, the system will protect itself. You can add an extra fan for redundency in case one of the required 4 fails

BsNRhnSCb5
Occasional Contributor

I tried simply adding a fifth fan (in fan slot 4), but the server still shuts down when I remove any single one of the fans in slots 5 through 8.

I also tried adding all fans (1 through 8). The server still shuts down if any single one of fans 5-8 are removed. However, it does not shut down if a single fan from slots 1-4 is removed. (It does shuts down if two fans are removed from slots 1-4 though).

BsNRhnSCb5
Occasional Contributor

By the way, I tried placing the fifth fan in slot 1 instead of slot 4 as well. Same result; no redundancy.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro
Solution

I don't think I have one of these older retired systems to experiment on any longer.  What I suspect is that system sees a missing fan differently than a fan that has failed. Depending on when this sytem was purchased, it might still have a few months left on the 3yr warranty, you could always open a support ticket if it is still covered

BsNRhnSCb5
Occasional Contributor

You were right. I tested this just now. If i remove a fan it shuts down, but if i block a fan, the server reports "not redundant" but does not shut down.

qrsystems
Occasional Visitor

I am currently facing thesame problem with my HP server. Can you please tell me how to block the fan so the system will no longer shut down on me. Thanks. 

Dave from Q. R Systems