1748165 Members
4068 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G5 / Linux RHEL 5 / Reboot by ASR

Adrian Hernandez B
Occasional Advisor

This issue is already in works within HP and at this time the only workaround available is to disable ASR or uninstall hp_openIPMI & hpasm, the actual fix is coming with Proliant Support Pack 8.0 which is due January 2008
Rafaell

Right now the PSP 8.0 is under testing, the release has been delayed until late February or the first week of March.

As Adrian explain the easiest way to bypass this issue is just to uninstall the hp_openimpi and work with the regular ipmi driver, until new PSP is released.
Ugo Bellavance (ATQ)
Frequent Advisor

Thank you for the follow-ups.

Keep us posted.

Patrick Monfette
Yanick Quirion
Regular Advisor

Thanks Rafaell for keeping us in touch on this problem... I just got another 380-G5 this week.

Yanick
Robert_Boyd
Respected Contributor

The latest news on the 8.0 SmartStart release is end of March. I'm glad they're testing it thoroughly. I just wish they'd get the fix for this out to us sooner.
Master you were right about 1 thing -- the negotiations were SHORT!
Rafaell

The PSP 8.0 for RHEL 5 are available at the following locations:

x86_64 (64 bits)
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/supportpack-linux/p1858380288/v43529/

i686 (32 bits)
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/supportpack-linux/p1999725681/v43345/

Please let me know the results after applying the upgrade.
Ronny Horgen
Frequent Advisor

Hi, I had the same reboot problem on DL380G5 RHEL5 and PSP7.92. When I install PSP8.00 I get this error:
Preparing to install HP ProLiant Smart Array Controller (AMD64/EM64T) Driver for Red Hat Enterprise Linux
5 (AMD64/EM64T) v3.6.18-10
This RPM is used to provide binary driver modules that have been pre-built to enable HP ProLiant Smart Ar
ray SAS/SATA, 6x and 5x Series controllers. This RPM provides a customer friendly approach to install a
pre-built binary driver.
On some kernel erratas the version of the driver present in the kernel may be equal to the version being
installed by the rpm. However, the driver in the kernel may not include all of the fixes and enhancement
s implemented in the driver contained within the rpm. Therefore the rpm should be installed in order to
obtain the fixes and enhancements that are not present in the kernel driver.
error: Installation of this component FAILED.

%pre(cpq_cciss-3.6.18-10.x86_64) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
error: install: %pre scriptlet failed (2), skipping cpq_cciss-3.6.18-10
uname -a
Linux gambit2.ffi.no 2.6.18-53.1.14.el5 #1 SMP Tue Feb 19 07:18:46 EST 2008 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Anyone who knows why?
RobH_Seattle
Advisor

We have 8 new dl380 G5's that experienced the same issues as all of you with the ASR reboot initiated by the IPMI agent.
Our fix was imply to remove it and go with Redhat std IPMI:
service hpasm stop
rpm -e hp-OpenIPMI
service hpasm start

I tried the lastest 8.0 hpasm on a test dl380 and it also rebooted the ASR so that's out.

I see that you are looking at the PSP 8.0 release. Not sure of your environment but you know thats pretty much a beta as there are no documents for it. As for installing it, all other psp's before it simply ran scripts to remove existing agents before installing. Depending on your o/s you may not be able to install all of the packs. You may have to install some manually using the "--ignoreos --nopre" so it doesn't check.

Good luck brothers! Hope to see some better psp releases from hp soon as these latest have been goose eggs.
RobH_Seattle
Advisor

Forgot to also mention that in order for the std linux IPMI driver to work properly you need to make sure library is installed.
yum install OpenIPMI

Megan Kielman
Advisor

I am experiencing a similar problem on a DL380 G5 Windows 2003 box. The following events were in the system log prior to an ASR which rebooted the system.

Event ID 57, Source HPQILO2: NetFN 0x36, command 0x2 timed out

Event ID 57, Source HPQILO2: NetFN 0x6, command 0x31 timed out

Event ID 57, Source HPQILO2: Get Message
Flags Error: 0xc3

Event ID 57, Source HPQILO2: NetFN 0x6, command 0x25 timed out

Event ID 57, Source HPQILO2: Failed GET SENSOR READING, sensor 9