3442 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G7 Memory in a DL360e Gen8?

andy hudson
Occasional Visitor

DL380 G7 Memory in a DL360e Gen8?

Hi Everyone

I have 2 old DL380 G7's and 2 (slightly less) old DL360e Gen8's but these have no memory in them

I just want to know if the memory in my DL380 G7's will work in the DL360e Gen8's.

I have 18 x8GB sticks currently in my DL380 G7's giving me a total of 144GB of usable memory. I am aware the dl360e Gen8's only support a maximum of 12 sticks of RAM with 2 CPU's installed so I have memory to spare if I swap it over.

I've read this thread HERE and I know about the official stance around Smart Memory support etc, but putting that aside, will the memory in the G7's

1. Physical Fit for DL360e Gen8's
2. Will the DL360e Gen8's boot up with it?

I'm well aware of all the bad ideas of doing this, but practically, will it work? The post in the link above seemed to imply it will, but I'm asking again just to be sure.

Cheers

Andy

3 REPLIES 3
ronissac
Trusted Contributor

HPE does not recommend g7 DIMM modules to be used on a Gen8 servers as the latter used smart memories

The server may boot fine but it may be recognized a Non authentic HP RAM and there will be warning all around the place.

Also key feature like memory authentication and enhanced memory performance will not be supported.

The physical form factor is same for both the DIMM modules.

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
andy hudson
Occasional Visitor

Cheers for info.

Well aware of the all the "not recommended" things, and all the warnings that might pop up, but its just for testing/lab and not production and just needed to know if it would technically " work " which by all accounts it will

Cheers

ronissac
Trusted Contributor

It should work !!

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo