1753437 Members
4991 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL380 Gen9 not seeing internal usb drive

Kerry Quillen
Regular Advisor

DL380 Gen9 not seeing internal usb drive

I have a DL380 Gen9 that boots ESXi from internal 4gb thumb drive.  There are no local hard drives.  There is an external array.  Today, I took the server down and added it to our Oneview console as a managed server and appled a profile.  This profile is the same one I use for all of our DL380 Gen9's (50+).  AFter the profile was applied I powered on the server and it failed to boot from the thumbdrive.  The only change the Oneview profile makes is to change boot mode from UEFI to Legacy.  So I naturally removed the profile and set boot mode back to UEFI but it still won't boot.  Overriding  boot order (force usb boot) does not work.  I then booted from ESXi ISO image to see if detected the USB as a potential install location and it did not.  Even stranger is that it also did not see the external array.  I've used this troubleshooting method many times to determine if thumbdrive is bad or the image is corrupt.  It always sees the external array even if the thumbdrive is bad. I have not tried a new thumbdrive yet as the site is remote.  Thoughts?

3 REPLIES 3
Chrisbey
Occasional Contributor

Kerry,

Good afternoon!  I am having the same issue and have spent the last two days on the phone with HPE servcie techs but have not found a resolution as of yet.  I have tried many differnenet options in the boot settings but to no avail.  I was wondering if you ever found a resolution to this?  I will let you know if I find a resolution and what my fix turns out to be.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

When you switch the boot mode back to UEFI is the original boot entry still listed in the boot menu?  You may need to access UEFI boot settings in RBSU and add the entry back in

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Kerry Quillen
Regular Advisor

We did get this resolved but it was so long ago that I don't recall what the fix was.  My bad for not posting the resolution here.