5295 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL380e fan speed questions

highwaymike
Occasional Contributor

DL380e fan speed questions

Hi all, 

Noob here, have been in IT support for years but new to this level of server. Have a DL380e w/ P420, firmware 4.68, ~88°C, 4 NETAPP X412_HVIPC560A15 drives, all around 30-35°C. Fans will randomly spin up to crazy noisy speeds for 5-10 secs (anywhere from once an hour to just a couple time a day), then settles back down to quiet. Have poked around using iLO (seems I need a subscription), and Insights, but am not making much headway in determining what is causing the fan issue. Any pointers out there where to start to determine fan speeds & location of any thermal hot-spots? Server has been in place for about 6 months, issue started about two months ago, seemingly for no reason. Current instal has it loafing, CPU utilization is usually less than 5%. 

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Harsh_b
HPE Pro

Hello Noob, 

fan speed spin up could be due to multiple cause ie temperature issue or old fw etc

i would suggest to update the server using the latest supported SPP (driver and fw) and monitor the setup if same issue then please log a support case for further analysis. Please provide the latest AHS logs for diagnsotics purpose

Thanks

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
highwaymike
Occasional Contributor

Hi, 

Thanks for taking the time to reply. My understanding is that access to a current SSP is subscription-based. Is that correct?

Mike

highwaymike
Occasional Contributor

Regarding AHS, I can connect using iLO console, but I'm not seeing any of the options you refer to. The bottom right corner does show a yellow light. A mouse-over shows "Health LED - Caution". 

highwaymike
Occasional Contributor

hello, 

our busy season is finishing up, time for me to readress some questions on our dl380e. is there a way to see the individual fan speed info for the (6) system fans in a G8 dl380e?

thanks in advance, 

mike