ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752782 Members
5948 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380G6 Change drive cage from SFF to LFF. Is it possible?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jorgen Stenberg
Occasional Advisor

DL380G6 Change drive cage from SFF to LFF. Is it possible?

I have a DL380G6 with SFF Drive Cage and i like to convert this machine to LFF drives. Is it possible to change the drive cage from SFF to LFF or is it only possible when bying a new machine with CTO?
6 REPLIES 6
TTr
Honored Contributor

The LFF cage is available in the HP partsurfer siter.

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?type=PROD&SearchText=470065-067

Also all drive cages are listed as mandatory serviced by the customer in the service guide (page 16). And the part numbers are clearly available.

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01705597/c01705597.pdf

Installing the second LFF cage is shown to be a customer task in the user guide, page 57 and it looks like there is 4 screws involved to remove both LFF cages and install SFF cages.

On another note, why do you want an LFF cage? Are you after the high capacity LFF disk drives? Keep in mind that with high capacity you lose performance and raid rebuilds will take forever.

What are your requirements?
Jorgen Stenberg
Occasional Advisor

Hi TTr

I already aware of the partno and the Hardware Maintenance Guide for installation of the LFF cage. Reason for my question was because i have measured the length of an LFF drive and i can├В┬┤t understand how it will fit into my server. Maybe the LFF-CTO is delivered with an another design of the motherboard to make room for the bigger LFF drives.

I know that LFF is not best for performance i will use this config only for upgrading firmware on drives before i install them in my production system.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

In that case why not just get a LFF external enclosure and an I/O card?
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Andrew Gladstone
Valued Contributor
Solution

Jorgen-
I have switched between SFF and LFF drive cages on the G6 line - it is a simple procedure. The LFF SAS/SATA drives will fit.
Good Luck.
ouss1984

hello , is it possible to remove the LFF drive cage and replace it by a SFF drive cage?

BaneWalken
Visitor

Sorry about that, when you order the LFF or SFF Hdd cage does the HDD blackplane comes along with it or you need to get it seperately
Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, the only way to be truly Satisfy is to do what your beileve is great work, the only way to do great work is to love what you do