1752780 Members
6373 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

DL380G6 - Position of Temp Sensor 29

echapman930
Occasional Visitor

Re: DL380G6 - Position of Temp Sensor 29

Im also having this same issue.  Sensor 29 is currently reading 61C and is in a failed state.  This is causing my system to shut down to protect itself.

adibb

Hi,

We have the same issue with sensor 29.. 

when the system starts ..is set to degraded..in the temperature panel is 207 C...and it seems that the server is overheating on the back (the metal case is more than 40C);

What could be?

koos147
Occasional Visitor

Here the same issue.

right after boot the temperature is going to 52 celsius.

the fans wil run at 78%

the inlet ambiant is 17 celsius.

i am unable to let the server running since i live near my office and can't sleep with the high fans.

i need a fix to slow down the fans real quick (i am afraid i need it with in a hour)

koos147
Occasional Visitor

i think i find the solution.

At the previouse location there was only one power cable availible.

so i unpluged the second power supply and everything worked fine.

on the new location there are 2 power groups availible and i was using the second power supply.

now i removed the second power supply (near the middle of the server) and everything is running normal again.

temp 29 is now reporting 0c and my fans are all low (13%)

/edit

15 minutes later.

problem isn't solved

run a update of ilo. now there is a acutally error message.

2 of the disks are non hp sata disks wich have worked fine. now ilo shows this disk as overheated (bay 5 and 6)

i removed this disks (my testlab is running on this disks so no problem) and now temp29 is showing 35c wich is a normal temperature for disks / disk bay

so lets hope this will solve the issue

sublimese
Advisor

This appears to be directly related to disks in some way.  I was running 6 x HGST 7K750 2.5" drives.  When running this configuration sensor 29 was reading a high temp and all 6 system fans were running at 78% speed.

Over the past several weeks I have replaced all 6 HGST drives with WD Red 750GB drives.  The instant I replaced the last HGST drive with a WD Red drive sensor 29 dropped from 50c to 35c and my fan speeds dropped from a solid 78% to the following values:  13%, 49%, 49%, 41%, 29%, 29%.

I will update this post if that data changes in a significant way.

summary:  sensor 29 is in some way related to the HDD. 

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

AFAIR sensor 28 is for the disks. 4 disks, 4 sensors, 1 sensor number. The highest temp. value is reported.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
sublimese
Advisor

Thanks for the reply!

It also appears that, for some disks anyway, that instead of the current temp being reported, the all time high temp is reported.

In my case the current HD temps were always around 23c.  The all-time high temp for the removed drives as reported by the smart storage administrator app was around 50c (which matched what sensor 29 was reporting).

However, sensor 29 is now reporting 35c, and of the 6 drives in machine, the highest current temp is 26c, and the highest all-time temp is 31c, so it seems as though there is more than just drive temp involved.

cmgj
Occasional Visitor

Has anyone found out anymore information about this.  I am experiencing this same issue.  Temp 29 is always between 45 and 50 and the fans will spin up to 78% and sit normail at about 34-36%

sublimese
Advisor

cmgj,

Sensor 29 represents drive temp.  As I stated in a previous entry, changing the drives caused value reported by sensor 29 to fall which correlated to a drop in fan speed.  It has been many months since I did this and the sensor reading and fan speeds are both low.

If that sensor is reading high (and causing your fans to spin at 78%), then you either need to get your drives cooler, or replace your drives with something that will work better with iLO.  
In my case my drives were not actually hot, but they obviously did not play nicely with iLO.   Replacing them with WD Red drives have solved the issue.

Chuckles13
Occasional Visitor

I also experienced the same issue with a single HGST drive. Once the drive was removed Temp 29 went from 47 to 35 degrees and the fans spun down to normal speeds. I also found that going from iLo firmware 2.02 to 2.29 also caused a reduction in fan speed. I have yet to see temp 29 change from the 35 degree reading but will monitor it to determine if it remains static. 

DL380 G6

Charles

Update 8/6/2016

Temp 29 has not moved from 35c since the removal of the drive.  I have to believe that this is an unused variable that is hijacked in some way by the HGST drive. This server is not in a controlled environment and other temp sensors have changed in accordance with ambient temperature.

Currently this server has 3 SAS drives in a RAID5 configuration and a single SATA SSD.