1748180 Members
3824 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL580 G2 will not boot with MSL5000 connected and powered on

Corey Wilson_2
Occasional Advisor

DL580 G2 will not boot with MSL5000 connected and powered on

I have an MSL5000 series Tape Library connected to a new DL580G2 using the integrated SCSI card, the 580 will not past POST when the Tape Drive is powered on, but will if the drive is powered off. Any ideas? Im sure I set the LUN different then anything else in the chain. Is there a config change in on the card that needs to take place for this tape library?
3 REPLIES 3
Tarek Kawach
Honored Contributor

Re: DL580 G2 will not boot with MSL5000 connected and powered on

Hi Corey:

This is not a supported configurations:

The Smart Array 5i Plus Controller is integrated on the system board and is designed to support the duplex/simplex drive cage. An external SCSI port is not available on the DL580 G2. External SCSI solutions require the addition of a PCI or PCI-X option card.

That library is not supported in any way by HP on that server.

You need to buy your own scsi card HP or 3rd party will do;

like Adaptec AHA29160 or AHA29140

or HP storage controller
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/adapters/index.html

Single channel ultra320 SCSI host bus adapter
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/adapters/singlechannel/index.html

Best regards,

Tarek.
Hey, look a light at the end of the tunnel.
Corey Wilson_2
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply.

I went and had another look at this server and I was mistaken. The MSL5000 is connected on this server to a LSI Logic SCSI 3 PCI card. I am dealing with two seperate issues on two servers, I got confused.

Anyways a bit more information.

On the tape drive's LCD, I changed the SCSI ID from 0 to 2, and connected the scsi cable on the scsi card to port1.

When I start the server with the tape drive powered on, the scsi bios detection rolls through until it hits BUS1 ID 2 (where the tape drive is set for) and then the tape drive starts to do its diagnostics, the arm starts moving and scanning tape slots etc. So obviously the server sees it. It is very slow going from this point on though, when the server hits the SCSI BIOS screen that says "Showing list of non INIT 13 devices" or whatever it displays one entry of the first scsi bus of the card and then the second where it shows the SDLT in bus1. The information for this line is as follows:

Slot=6 Port=01 ID=1 LUN=0 vendor=compaq product=sdlt320 rev=4b4b sync=(empty) wide=(empty) capacity=(empty)

Im thinking its a setting on the drive itself causing this but not sure what to change. Mind you if the tape drive is powered off the server starts up fine. With the tape drive powered on though, the server hangs at the init13 devices screen after listing the tape drive.

Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated! Im sure its something simple, however this is the first one of these Ive dealt with so have limited knowledge.

Thanks!
Corey Wilson_2
Occasional Advisor

It appears the server does actually boot and sees the drive, however it takes probaly close to a full four minutes at the POST screen, and also durnig the Windows 2003 splash screen it takes over a good minute to minute and a half where without the drive powered on the it shoots through the POST screen in under 30 seconds and maybe another 30 seconds during the windows 2003 splash screen. I am presuming this is not normal as I have never seen it take this long with other drives on the same servers.