New Discussion юеВ

Re: Dl580 or Power Supply

mactell
Occasional Contributor

Dl580 or Power Supply

Hello,

Server: DL580 (used)

Power Supply 3 x (HP DPS-1200FB A)

I have tried to connect everything to the electricity network. Problem is, the fans of all power supplies are working proberly, but the LED of each power supply if off, not lightning green.

My question now is,

1.) "the power supplies require a response from the server to provide the LED's on green or the LED's only refers innards of the PSU itself"? - If it would relate only to its owb offal, which would mean that all three PSU's are defective - hard to imagine.

2.) Other possibility would be that the standby-switch of the server doesnt work correctly. Standby Ligths yellow. When i pushed in 3 or 4 times, it turned off. But never its ligthning green.

Interesting also:

The fans of the server doesnt work at any time.

The control-LED's of then inside panel are all inactive with this exceptions: CPU-yellow, I/O-yellow, StandBy-yellow

Some LED's insight (motherboard) are ligthning green - so the motherboard has power.

Would be great if someone could give a few tips here in the forum .....

6 REPLIES 6
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

I guess you are referring to DL580 server which is first generation.

Power supplies are on the front next to the hard drive bay.

Refer to the attached image:

Item 1 = Green (steady) = Power Ok.  Off = Fault
Item 2 = Green (steady) = AC Power Present.  Off = AC power not present or fault.

System board may be getting power but power supply may be still faulty, may be its unable to send power to all parts in the server.  In some cases the power supply backplane could be faulty as well.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

mactell
Occasional Contributor

Sorry,

my mistake, it's a G5. I have three power supplies. If i have only one power supply, it would be a good way, but i have three power supplies ... Is there an other way ?

LouisH
Valued Contributor

If the server is a G5 DL580, you HAVE to have at least two power supplies plugged in...

regards,

Louis

Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

On a DL580 G5 power supply, there is a single led which has three functions:
Green led and Amber led Off = No AC power to power supply units
Green led On and Amber led Off = AC present. Standby output on. Power supply DC output on and OK
Green led Off and Amber led On = Power supply failure (includes over voltage and over temperature).

Also look at Best Practices for Power Supply Configuration in the ProLiant DL580 G5 Server.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

mactell
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

thanks for your help. I've 4 processors and the german power supply system. 220V. On this way, three power supplies are ok, i'm thinking. But i tried it also with two power supplies.

You say, that the power supply so have one LED. It's right. Then you wrote about two led's.

You are speaking from the first led (power supply) and the second led (system insight display - standby)? I'm thinking correct?

Then i have the following combination:  

Green led Off and Amber led On = Power supply failure (includes over voltage and over temperature).

But how is this possible, because i have tried it also with 2 busbars with overvoltage protection and the temperature is absolutely normal .... what is wrong? 

In the system insight display 3 leds are on, the rest is off: standby-led, CPU-led and I/O-led are on.

jzlion
Occasional Visitor

Did you solve your issue, I have the same one and I do not find a good help.