ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748216 Members
3455 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL585 G7's rebooting with no warning..

Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Is it possible to run another version of ESX on one server (ESX5u1 or ESX5.1) just to see any difference?

Another hint - I saw here in forum user with similar problem - random reboots. It was cause by UPS devices which werenot able to handle modern G5 and G6 PSU's - just wonding - is everything in the same server room/ same rack / same UPS / same curcuits?

Jan

HampusLind
Occasional Advisor

We found some BIOS setting that should be turned off when running esx... ASR seems to be the most important one.. Also please see this KB from vmware on what steps should be taken when the server freezes (press NMI button to generate a esx core dump).

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1014767

Recommended BIOS settings for DL585G7:

—-Embedded NIC Boot Options Disabled If you don’t PXE boot the server, set it to disabled. Otherwise, leave it enabled. Setting it to disabled saves you 2 seconds when booting the server.

--HP Power Profile Custom Allows to enable custom Power settings specific for vSphere –HP Power Regulator OS Control Mode Hands over the Power Management to vSphere. The other options give this control to the server itself.

–Redundant Power Supply Mode High Efficiency Mode (Auto) By default (Balanced Mode), the server uses all installed PSU’s. This might look like the most efficient use, but the more power is drawn from a PSU, the more efficient it operates.

–ASR Status Disabled ASR monitors an agent running in the Service Console. When this does not respond within 10 minutes, the host is rebooted.

–Automatic Power-On Disabled  

--Virtual Install Disk Disabled This Virtual Install Disk only contains drivers for Microsoft Windows Operating system.
HampusLind
Occasional Advisor

Jan, we have checked with our DC vendor and they have checked thier power and UPS logs with no indication of a problem.

Do you remember how the power supplies affected the UPS (or the other way around)?

Thanks,

Hampus

Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello, I am not able find exact link (it was on old-style forum), but here are some hints - generally it was issue between very modern HP PSU (G6+) an line-interactive UPSs - maybe try this link http://blog.samkendall.net/2010/03/22/hp-proliant-g6-series-server-issues-with-line-interactive-upss/ , another discussion: http://serverfault.com/questions/199861/ups-with-a-hp-proliant-server

A I remember problem was fixed by replacing UPS's with higher level UPS.

In your case - try to find out what is exact type of your DC vendor UPS and check compatibility with your HP servers with HP.

(again - UPS problem is only my hypothesis :( )

Jan

HampusLind
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Jan! I dont think that is an problem in our case, feels like they talk about low-end UPS for small offices or so. We run our servers in a really big DC with huge, and quite new, UPS's.

Pez067

same issue experienced here but with the smaller DL385 G7's running ESXi 4.1 U1 we have 14 in production across 2 site and both clusters experience the same unexpected reboots I've logged countless cases with VMware and HP I've lost count on the number of motherboards and CPU’s  we have replaced  and still see the same unexpected reboots.