6054 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Donation of Proliant DL380 G3. Upgrade it "at all". Issues and informations

ilkyest
Occasional Contributor

Donation of Proliant DL380 G3. Upgrade it "at all". Issues and informations

Hello pals.

I've received 4 servers, 4 Proliant DL 380 G3 in donation. The four of them are with 3,06GHz processor. I'm mounting them 2 by two, with reduntant things.

I'll use them to folding at home. But I'm bumping up about certain things

BIOS

Even when I click on "obtain software", opens another page, saying that I must link something like warranty package, or something like this.

I just need, yet, download a new BIOS, preferably to linux.

HD  - 2 issues

HD ISSUE 1

largers hds, like maxtor, are detected with, just, 32.4Gb. It's a "NIC" issue? I've updated the RAID card BIOS, but I've not tryied reboot yet. Just at night when I'm at home

HD issue 2 - I didn't found the correct "pre install SCSI driver" to run windows 2000 on this server. I'm running fedora on it, cause only this OS I could install without driver (and updates run perfectly, that ones "scexe")

I've downloaded one, that makes windows detect "adaptec SCSI driver" but after, windows says that no hd are detected. I mind it's cause the raid, put another HD without RAID, but same issue

CD-ROM - natively, only CD-ROM are read. This CD-ROM drive is SCSI? IDE? It's possible put a "sata driver" or "IDE driver" using any of the connectors on proliant? I've tried with a "Sata card" but PCI-X slot "didn't like it", system don't starts

Only CD, and I've windows server 2008, DVD, that I could use on proliant, but, with, only, CD it's difficult

FAN NOISE - Is there some controller, OS based, that "takes it better".... on fedora, hpasm, forum said, that did the work, but on "hp site" I've not found it anymore.

Software issue

I haven't found anymore hp proliant utils... I want try, if "CD ROM" issue is impossible create a usb bootable disk to install win server 2008, and after make SCSI's driver work during instalation.