ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748219 Members
4896 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Drive in RAID 1 array "is predicted to fail soon". Replaced with new drive and no change.

FailingP420i
Visitor

Drive in RAID 1 array "is predicted to fail soon". Replaced with new drive and no change.

Hi, 

I have a DL360P Gen 8 with a P420i SmartArray. 

I have a RAID 1 array that showed a drive "is predicited to fail soon". I replaced the drive with a new drive with the same HP part number. New drive started to show as rebuilding. Rebuild never finished. New drive went into "is predicted to fail soon" status (warning 341) status. 

Can anyone recommend troubleshooting steps? At this point I'm not sure if the new drive is also bad or if there could be something else such as loose cable somehwere. 

Sidenote: I also started receiving message 263: SMART Array P420i in Embedded Slot has one or more cache module batteries/capacitors that are failed. Caching operations such as Expansion, Extension, and MIgration are temporarily suspended until the batteries/capacitors are replaced. Please consult the user guide to identifiy and repalce the failed components.  Are these two problems related?

3 REPLIES 3
sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Re: Drive in RAID 1 array "is predicted to fail soon". Replaced with new drive and no chan

Hi,

For the first issue,

Considering you have replaced good known drive, there are chances that other/mirrored drive also having predictive failure errors which is the reason why controller unable to copy/rebuild the data on new drive from mirrored drive.

for the second issue:

Please check the battery/capacitor status, if it's bad/failed you need to replace it.

Regards,

Sudhir 

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo

FailingP420i
Visitor

Re: Drive in RAID 1 array "is predicted to fail soon". Replaced with new drive and no chan

I have replaced the battery and the status message initially went away. I am now getting a message the battery is recharging. This message has been constant for two days now. I opened a support chat session and was told it can take up to 72 hours for the new pack to charge. I need to wait a little longer for the 72 hours to pass.  The actual message is:

• 772 Smart Array P420i in Embedded Slot has one or more cache module batteries/capacitors that are recharging. Caching operations such as Expansion, Extension, and Migration are temporarily suspended until the batteries/capacitors are fully charged. Caching operations will automatically resume when charging is complete.

In regards to the drive I was told in a support chat to order another replacement as the first replacement I ordered is also bad (note: I sent an ADUReport in the chat session). 

FailingP420i
Visitor

I orderd another new drive and replaced the first new drive I ordered. The "predicted to fail soon error" has now gone. It looks like the first drive I ordered to replace the bad drive was itself bad.