Go to solution
Gaisu
Advisor

Firmware Downgrade Options

Hello,

When you try to downgrade a firmware using SUM you get the following options:

- Downgrade Firmware & Software

- Downgrade & Rewrite  Firmware & Software 

What is the difference between downgrade and rewrite?

What is meant by software here?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Suvamay
HPE Pro

Re: Firmware Downgrade Options

Hello ,

What is the difference between downgrade and rewrite?

Downgrade means : Lower version from the current version installed 

Rewrite means : Overwrite the firmware 

Software means: There are so many software listed in the proliant server. That is why they have mentioned software.

Thanks

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Pallavi_V
HPE Pro

Hi,

Software refers to : Drivers, HPE Utilities and HPE Agents that was included in the SPP Package. 

For more Installation Options, please refer to : https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c05391924

Thank you

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Gaisu
Advisor

Hello @Suvamay ,

Thanks for your reply,

Could you please be more detailed?

thanks

Vador
HPE Pro

Hello,

The term 'software' in SUM (or SPP) refers to HPE Softwares, which are the utilities and applications released by HPE. These are released to enable specific functionalities, for example: the Smart Storage Administrator for the RAID Controllers OR SMH that provides users to  be able to monitor the server from the host OS.

Regards,

Vador

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Suvamay
HPE Pro

Hello,

Thanks for your interest to know more on this. Please refer below for more info.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c03927812

Thanks,

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Pallavi_V
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi 

Downgrade will allow you to downgrade the firmware/software from the Higer Version to lower versions.
Whereas Rewrite will allow you to upgrade/downgrade the firmware/software even if the server has same version is in the package. (Eg: If a component is already at v2.33 and if the SPP package has v2.33, it will rewrite this again on the component)

Regards, 

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

ad_astra

What is the procedure to downgrade the HBA firmware: HPE SN1000Q 16GB Dual Port PCIe Fibre Channel Host Bus Adapter?

Pallavi_V
HPE Pro

Hi,

You can use "Force" option to downgrade the Firmware either online or offline mode.  

> Online : Based on OS, use the file.

> Offline : SPP.iso image. 

Note : HPE does not recommend downgrading firmware until and unless there is a need. Please make the downgrade is required and then proceed accordingly. 

The following link talks about System ROM, however, it can be used only for reference: Title: HP ProLiant Server Series - Upgrading or Downgrading System ROM Using Online and Offline Methods : https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=mmr_kc-0113956

Regards, 

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo