1753523 Members
10777 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Following Windows 10 Fall creators update, boot hangs

tonyb61
Visitor

Following Windows 10 Fall creators update, boot hangs

I run an HP Proliant Server DL20 Gen9, with a windows 10 OS, which has been fine upto the 1709 Fall Creators update. This update loads, installs and after reboot, the server just hangs, showing the light blue window on a black background for ever ( upto 2 days ) and never shows the small circle of dots rotating as in normal boot. I have to power off using power button, and reboot to get back to the previous windows but I cannot stop it trying to install it again ! 

Any suggestions on fixing this ?

Thanks

Tony

7 REPLIES 7
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Probably related to this issue with Windows Server and release 1709

https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/Windows-Server-2016-1709-can-t-installed-on-HP-Proliant-DL380/td-p/6989714

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
tonyb61
Visitor

I had a look at the issue Jimmy referred to. This was a problem with installing 1709 on the proliant during the first deployment of the OS. I'm just updating from 1607 to 1709, the os is already installed.

I presume if I follow the instructions to slipstream this fix into the 1709 installer, I'm creating a new installer for 1709. If I run that I'm effectively going to re install windows, and then have to reinstall all my applications etc all over again ?

Tony

draedeus

Tony, did you ever find a solution to this? I'd like to avoid reinstalling Windows just to apply an update. 

Thanks

tonyb61
Visitor

Hi,

I'm still stuck on this issue, I've not found a way of fixing the update short of a fresh install. I am disapointed HP or Microsoft haven't a solution to this issue, particualrly as it's proving difficult to stop the update being applied again and again.

rtm1
Visitor

Hi Tony have you found a fix for this without having to reinstall? Have you tried the media creation tool?

Zsombor

Hi guys,

I'm having the exact same problem. Unfortunately I did not managed to stop the update so the computer restarts one a week.

As I did not have a lot of data on the server I've just tried to re-install windows but it does the same with the installation.  It recognises the usb drive but when it tries to boot it is stuck at the loading sign.  

I did some workaround with disabling the RAID controller os some memory settings but nothing worked.

rtm1
Visitor

I believe this is a hardware issue. Unfortunately the only real hope is for HP to release an updated firmware to address it. I have set a group policy to defer all upgrades for a year. The windows utility to hide updates does not seem to work (It doesn't even show the 1709 update in the list). I would love to hear if someone actually got the 1709 update installed and how exactly they did it.