108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: G10 2012 R2 Server Install Issue

SOLVED
Go to solution
Prossima
Occasional Contributor

G10 2012 R2 Server Install Issue

Hi, Ive noted an issue with an install of Windows 2012 R2 on a new out-of-the-box Hp DL360 Gen10.

Inside is a HP Smart Array P408i-a SR Gen10 Controller with 2 x 600Gb SAS drives.

When accessing Smart Storage Administrator and creating a new array from the 2 drives, a message appears:

"One or more selected drives are connected to mixed mode ports, and directly exposed to the OS. These drives will become unavailable to the OS after this operation.

Are you sure you want to continue?"

On clicking Yes, the server reboots as expected - then when running the Windows 2012 R2 install from a bootable USB created by Rufus, at the screen where you select which drive to install - it can't see the created array.  Therefore the installation can't continue.

However, the raid1 array is created OK.

I don't build too many of these, but can't remember this as an issue with G9s?

Additionally, using the Intelligent Provisioning route, if I point the application to an ISO of Windows 2012 R2 on another USB drive - it will see it, but when you select it, it simply says "Validating" and then does nothing.  

I'm doing something wrong here, but for an out-of-the-box install, should this be an issue?

8 REPLIES 8
FabioC1
HPE Pro

Hi  Prossima 

Do you use cable attached in HBA, if yes, disonnect the cable and try intall again by intelligent provisioning

FabioC1 - HPE Pro

Accept or Kudo

Prossima
Occasional Contributor

Hi FabioC1

Nothing attached at all., except keyboard, monitor and mouse.  No network connections or anything like that, server wasn't even racked, just unboxed.

Cali
Honored Contributor

The Smart Array in Gen10 are no more detected by Windows Out-of-the-Box.

You need to add the Smart Array Driver (download from HPE) during the Setup, or in the Boot Image.

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.
Prossima
Occasional Contributor

Hi Cali,

Can you confirm if it's this driver here: https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=1010026792&swItemId=MTX_feeeea3c64e04e47a684c2961d&swEnvOid=4184#tab4

I'll have no internet access when onsite for this machine, was just to be sure.

Cali
Honored Contributor

Yes, that's the one I use.

Start the EXE, extract it to a Directory.

Mount this Directory with iLO during the Windows Setup and add than the Driver.

Prossima
Occasional Contributor

Cali, thanks for your quick response.  

Daft question - but is this only available via iLO - or could the installer be pointed to this while at the machine?

Cali
Honored Contributor
Solution

You can copy the Driver to a USB Stick and plug in.

Jjkeny

I want to install server 2012 to operate like normal server/machine. I am unable to. Kindly assist.