ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1747990 Members
5121 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Gen9 DL380 - Intelligent Provisioning can't install RedHat 7.3/7.4 and Firmware Update broken

Berney777
Occasional Contributor

Gen9 DL380 - Intelligent Provisioning can't install RedHat 7.3/7.4 and Firmware Update broken

I have access to a new Proliant Gen9 DL380 (BIOS v2.42) with ILO 4 v2.50 (Intelligent Provisioning v2.50) installed and I've tried to use HPE Intelligent Provisioning to install RedHat 7.4 from an ISO image on ILO virtual media. I can see the ISO image listed and select it but if I attempt to install from it, then it initially scans and then says "Unable to find any available media". The same thing happens if I try to install from a RedHat 7.3 image but if I select a RedHat 7.2 image it seems to work OK. I know both images are good.

My assumption is that RedHat 7.3 and 7.4 are not supported by ILO v2.50 - is that correct? Assuming it is then my next step was to try to do a server firmware update in the hope that the system will be upgraded to the latest versions (ILO v2.53 and Intelligent Provisioning v2.60). However when selecting "Firmware Update" from the Maintenance menu I get a message "Unable to contact update server" and a message saying that the site "hp.com" can't be contacted. This URL seems to be hard-coded when using the "HPE Web Site" System Software Update option but presumably it should now be connecting to a "hpe.com" website.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can point to the right update server to allow me to upgrade and then do the installation of RedHat 7.4? I really want to use Intelligent provisioning as it allows me the remote management automation I need.

Thanks for your help

Berney

8 REPLIES 8
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: Gen9 DL380 - Intelligent Provisioning can't install RedHat 7.4 and Firmware Update broken

@Berney777 wrote:

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can point to the right update server to allow me to upgrade and then do the installation of RedHat 7.4? I really want to use Intelligent provisioning as it allows me the remote management automation I need.

Thanks for your help

Berney

You can download the offline IP recovery image to upgrade IP

What remote management automation are you refering to?

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Berney777
Occasional Contributor

Re: Gen9 DL380 - Intelligent Provisioning can't install RedHat 7.3/7.4 and Firmware Update broken

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at the site below for an offline IP recovery image:

https://h20392.www2.hpe.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductsList.do?category=IP

and only versions up to 2.50 are listed. However the latest release notes show version 2.60 at:

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=a00006882en_us

... and this does mention Redhat 7.3

is there another site i should be using to get a recovery image for 2.60?

Maybe I didn't use the right terminology. By "remote management automation" I just meant the ability to use Intelligent Provisiioning itself to do remote OS installations. I need to get IP working to install the latest RedHat versions rather than use something else.

Thanks

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

IP versioning information

1.xx = Gen8
2.xx = Gen9
3.xx = Gen10

If you click the history tab, you can scroll down and find the latest 2.xx release

You don't really need IP to do remote installation, for Linux I've used PXE along with the Scripting Toolkit to automate everything.  Pxe boot into the tolkit and run a series of bash scripts using the tools in the toolkit to configure RBSU, iLO and RAID settings, then I carve out a small partition on the drive to land the OS installer and reboot on the disk to do a network kickstart/autoyast/seed installation.  You can use this and/or just a combination of iLO remote console and the OS media to do the installation.  Personally I find the IP assisted Linux installation a bit to restrictive for my needs

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Berney777
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I know there are other ways of doing the remote installation but IP is the method we have to use in our test lab environment so I'm trying to get the latest version (i.e. 2.60) as I need to get this sorted. I agree it can be a bit restrictive for Linux but when it works it's OK for our purpose.

Where is the history tab you're referring to?

Thanks

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Versions are listed here:

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=null&swItemId=MTX_77b94511492441a08eb272ed27&swEnvOid=4184#tab-history

1.70 for Gen8

2.61 for Gen9

3.00 for Gen10

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Berney777
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Torsten. I hadn't managed to find that page but that seems to be what I'm looking for!

Best Regards

Berney

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Intelligent Provisioning is also available in rpm format, so you can install it online or use with HP SUM or SPP:

Version 2.61 for Gen9

http://downloads.linux.hpe.com/SDR/repo/ip/rhel/current/x86_64/gen9/hp-firmware-intelligentprovisioning-ip-2.61-1.1.x86_64.rpm

Version 1.70 for Gen8

http://downloads.linux.hpe.com/SDR/repo/ip/rhel/current/x86_64/gen8/hp-firmware-intelligentprovisioning-ip-1.70-1.1.x86_64.rpm

Version 3.00 for Gen10

http://downloads.linux.hpe.com/SDR/repo/ip/rhel/current/x86_64/gen10/firmware-intelligentprovisioning-ip-3.00-2.3.x86_64.rpm

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
gjs68

For whomever ends up here as well, with a similar issue- Redhat 7.4 media not recognized on DL380 Gen9:
Intelligent Provisioning software release 2.70(b)(28 Feb 2018), added support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.4 and SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP3.

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_170e0ac3cb6e4439bf313f137a#tab2