108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Help with scripted setup of array controller

SOLVED
Go to solution
HampusN
Occasional Visitor

Help with scripted setup of array controller

I'm trying to use ssascripting.exe to setup the raid controller in a simple raid 1 for two disks during installation of a gen10 380 server but it doesn't work. The application just gives me an error message saying it can't find any controllers, like this,
ERROR: (2821) No controllers detected

If I manually go into BIOS and create a new storage array, the tool can then read and change the settings for it. Any ideas how I can create the array from start in an automated scripted way in WinPE, Powershell or any other tool?

The controller is a HPE Smart Array P408i-a SR Gen10, FirmwareVersion 1.04

8 REPLIES 8
GokulKS
HPE Pro

Hi,

Currently PowerShell does not have any cmdlets for SA but we are developing 1.0 which is the first release of Smart Array which will be available around March timeline in CY18.

You should be able to automate logical drive creatoin with SA 1.0 cmdlets.

Thanks,

Gokul

I am a HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

HampusN
Occasional Visitor

That is really great news!

But what if I want to automate it before the PS module is released. Is this not possible with Gen10 servers at the moment?

GokulKS
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi,

Thanks for your interest keep checking our yammer notification for new product releases.

Regarding your question on automation using other than powershell i am not sure but you can try RESTful Toolkit -> https://hewlettpackard.github.io/python-redfish-utility which helps in creation of logical drives and other operations. I am not an expert but you can try ourself.

If you are looking for OS provisioning then you can use another tool we developed for Gen10 -> https://www.powershellgallery.com/packages/HPEOSProvisionCmdlets/1.0.0.1

Thanks,

Gokul

I am a HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

wrote:

I'm trying to use ssascripting.exe to setup the raid controller in a simple raid 1 for two disks during installation of a gen10 380 server but it doesn't work. The application just gives me an error message saying it can't find any controllers, like this,
ERROR: (2821) No controllers detected

If I manually go into BIOS and create a new storage array, the tool can then read and change the settings for it. Any ideas how I can create the array from start in an automated scripted way in WinPE, Powershell or any other tool?

The controller is a HPE Smart Array P408i-a SR Gen10, FirmwareVersion 1.04

Make sure whatever OS your booting to run the tool on has an array drvier loaded that supports the P408i

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
HampusN
Occasional Visitor

The RESTful Toolkit worked perfectly fine! Thank you for the tip

HampusN
Occasional Visitor

Thanx for the suggestion. My WinPE image have the drivers and I can manage the disks fine after I have created an Array manually with the ssascripting.exe in WinPE, just not before it has been created.

Dan_AB
Visitor

Hello. We are trying to use the ssascripting.exe to capture raid config on P408i SR Gen10 controller on a DL380 Gen10 but getting the

"2821 error. No controllers detected" error.

We are using WinPE. Array was already manually created using SSA and firmware/driver is up to latest. We haven't have to use PowerShell or RESTful before with Gen9 so wondering if there is a fix for just using STK on Gen10? Does anyone have a sample script that actually works?

Thank you

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

You probably need to add new driver to the WinPE image to get Gen10 support

Download the latest toolkit for Windows, there is a readme that explains how to add drivers to a WinPE image

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=1008917055&swItemId=MTX_a445328f381846b68fc5af500f&swEnvOid=4184#tab1

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!