108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to Add Extra HDD to an Existing HP DL 380 G9 Server

Monketrip28
Occasional Contributor

How to Add Extra HDD to an Existing HP DL 380 G9 Server

Dear All,

Greetings!! 

We have an HP DL 380 G9 Server with 5 SAS 10K HDD on ADG 6 (01 HDD on HotSpare) with WIN2K16 Hyper-V Installed and 3 Business Critical VM's Running on them.

I need to add an additional 3 HDD  (SAS 10K) to the Server without disturbing the current status.  i.e. (Don't want to break Windows or RAID or Loose Data)

Can anyone point me in the right direction with involved steps.

Appreciate your Assistance Very much

Thank you

Cheers

6 REPLIES 6
DANDKS
HPE Pro

Hello,

The Array can be expanded without disturbing the existing configuration. There are many pre requisites that need to be addressed before commencing the Array Expansion.

From the query, we understand that the Smart Array Controller has a Cache Module & ADG license.

The SmartCache feature need to be disabled to perform an Array expansion

You can increase the storage space on an array by adding physical drives. Any drive that you want to add must meet the following criteria:
тАв It must be an unassigned drive.
тАв It must be of the same type as existing drives in the array (for example, SATA or SAS).
тАв It must have a capacity no less than that of the smallest drive in the array.

IMPORTANT: An array expansion, logical drive extension, or logical drive migration takes about 15 minutes per gigabyte. While this process is occurring, no other expansion, extension, or migration can occur simultaneously on the same controller. Controllers that do not support a battery-backed write cache do not support this process.

Please refer to the below link for more information:

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c03909334

Thank you

I Work for HPE

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
gavaclan
Occasional Visitor

Good morning, if you add a new HDD, I can restart the host despite the procedure to extend the logical volume has reached 7%? can I start working on old data without losing it and check that the VMWARE machine is still working? Unfortunately I can not find answers on the guides. Thanks for the clarifications

DANDKS
HPE Pro

Hello,

Greetings.

Based on the priority, you can work on the server. If the priority of the Expansion is High, then the other operations on the server will be slow.

Changing the Expand Priority setting

The Expand Priority setting determines the urgency with which the controller treats an internal command to expand an array.

яВ╖ At the low setting level, normal system operations take priority over an array expansion.
яВ╖ At the medium setting, expansion occurs for half of the time, and normal system operations occur for the rest of the time.
яВ╖ At the high setting, the expansion takes precedence over all other system operations.

Thanks.

I work for HPE

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
gavaclan
Occasional Visitor

Ok, thanks for your answer.

But i can reboot the server during the trasformation and the parity status is 0%?

I can lost the data?

Thanks for your help

DANDKS
HPE Pro

Hello,

The server can be rebooted while the parity is at 0%, there will be no data loss if the hardware criteria is met.

Thank you

I work for HPE

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
DANDKS
HPE Pro

Hello,

Greetings

Can you please help us to understand if the issue got resolved or not?

If issue got resolved then how?

This will help for everyone who are all following your forum.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! Thumbs below!

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo