ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753797 Members
7233 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

How to Upgrade HP Smart Array P420i Controller on HP Proliant ML350p Gen8 to support 3 logical Drvs

NkCh
Occasional Visitor

How to Upgrade HP Smart Array P420i Controller on HP Proliant ML350p Gen8 to support 3 logical Drvs

Dear all,

We have an HP Proliant ML350p Gen8 Server with HP Smart Array P420i Controller.

We have currently created two SATA arrays (2 logical drives) and he have currently bought two new extra HDDs in order to create an extra third logical drive.

However, I have seen from the documentation that the following is supported:

Zero Memory, Up to 2 logical volumes (8 physical drives)
Up to 64 logical drives with cache.

I would like to ask how can I upgrade our HP Smart Array P420i Controller in order to be able to support a third logical drive? Do we need to buy memory for the Controller?

Thank you very much.

2 REPLIES 2
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: How to Upgrade HP Smart Array P420i Controller on HP Proliant ML350p Gen8 to support 3 logical D

Does the controller have a cache module?  If it has a cache module you can create more thant 2 logical drives. If it does not have a cache module you will need to install one before you can create more than two logical drives.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
NkCh
Occasional Visitor

Re: How to Upgrade HP Smart Array P420i Controller on HP Proliant ML350p Gen8 to support 3 logical D

Hi,

No it doesn't have a cache module.

So, if I buy one - it would be possible to create a 3rd RAID without losing the data on my two existing ones?

Do you happen to have a link on what cache can I buy?

Thank you.