1753851 Members
7103 Online
108807 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP DL 165 G6 very noisy - fan speed

Romulus6cbc
Frequent Advisor

Re: HP DL 165 G6 very noisy - fan speed

Sorry everyone, please disregard my previous upload. My data entry was incorrect. New entries are highlighted in yellow.
bakerman_1

@Romulus, first of all thank you for posting your results. I have not understood what you mean with the "w/w the cage, PCIe riser card or HP Smart Array P410 Controller installed" test: is it a working solution? the fan3 speed would be acceptable (I could never see it below 5000rpm in mine with the SmartArray installed).
We have the same problem with a DL180 G6 with P212 controller. We have contacted HP support many times and they said they are aware of the problem and working on it, so it sounds 'funny' reading the answer 'it is by design' you got from the technician.
We also had this problem with a DL380 and it's been fixed with a fimrware upgrade.
Romulus6cbc
Frequent Advisor

@bakerman
You are welcome. Looks like the only way we will resolve this is by sharing information. So "w/" stands for "with", and "w/w" stands for "without". Not sure what you mean by, "Is it a working solution?", however, I need the a RAID 5 configuration which can only be achieved with a PCIe riser expansion card (P410 or P212). Not sure how long you've been working with HP support, but I've had my case open since beginning of July, and they just closed it yesterday without any resolution whatsoever. At this point, I think they are telling customers whatever they need to, since they do not have a solution. That fact that they released a new firmware fix for th DL380 is encouraging, perhaps they will do the same for the DL180. Let's hope.
Romulus6cbc
Frequent Advisor

FYI, for those of you who can afford it there is a solution, a noise reduction enclosure cabinet like the ones below. Of course replacing the DL180 with a later model with Lights-Out 2 software that will give you full control over the fans will probably be cheaper.

http://www.xrackpro.com/v/vspfiles/V4_Backup/products.htm
shamanius
Advisor

Without raising card, with only array controller on the board, BMC firmware is downgradin itself from 2.17.1.89 to 2.17.1.88 and the fans speed are:
1. 5400 rpm
2. 5700 rpm
3. 14100 rpm (!!!)
4. 3000 rpm

And all Temps on the board are 33-38, but only a "IOH Temp" is 52 C. Maybe its a reason. But how can I install cooler on northbridge, if there are no connectors fo optional fans? Just want to try, maybe reducing temp will resolve my problem.
Romulus6cbc
Frequent Advisor

@shamanius
Yeah, I noticed the firmware downgrade myself when I was experimenting with different configurations. In fact, at one point, every time I rebooted the server, it rewrote the firmware. I had to re-flash the BMC firmware to stop this from happening. HP has released a new system BIOS update version 2010.07.23 (4 Aug 2010). Although it did not resolve the fan issue, it is still a good idea to install the update.(WARNING: Install the BIOS update at your own risk. The last time I tried to update the BIOS on a Proliant DL120, Windows Server 2003 wouldn't boot (BSoD at startup), and the system board had to replaced. HP support informed me this is a known issue with some configurations, which made me think why would HP release a buggy BIOS version to begin with. I have not had this problem with the DL180, yet.) The IOH TEMP is normal, mine varies from 48.0 to 54.5 deg C, depending on the PCIe riser configuration. Regarding installing a cooler on the northbridge, yeah I had issues with this also. There are two unused fan connectors on the motherboard, J70(Fan 4) and J67(Fan 6), not sure if these will work, or what they are for (if anyone knows please let me know)? The way I figure it, either a 3-pin or a 4-pin fan connector with a SATA power cable adapter connected to an empty SATA power cable may work. If anyone knows, a better way to configure this, please let me know. Thanks.
Romulus6cbc
Frequent Advisor

Incidentally, I am also considering installing fan controllers like the ones described in the links below. The problem with these are thermal management. Even though I can turn down the fan rpm all the way to 1500, it will stay at 1500 rpm even though the CPU core reaches critical thermal levels. In the other words, the fan controllers override the motherboard fan management. My thinking is, given a less than 80 deg F room temperature, the server should be able to function normally with the fans running at 2500 - 5000 rpm. Of course installing the fan controllers have their own issues. There maybe POST errors if the fans rpm is set too low, or the motherboard may not recognize the fans at all.

http://www.zalman.com/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=206

http://www.zalman.com/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=375
shamanius
Advisor

With optional fan on IOH the temp was 44 C. And the fan #3 speed - 11900 rpm. So I think if it will be 30 C, the speed will be 5-6k rpm. But it must be water cooling. So I will try Zalman PWM.
Romulus6cbc
Frequent Advisor

@shamanius
Please understand the risks here. If you install fan controllers, your system fans will always rotate at the set rpm. They will not adjust according to the thermal fluctuations. This may result in unexplained server shutdowns and reboots, or replacing the motherboard, the CPU, or both if they are damaged. I would not attempt this unless you have an active service contract with HP, and I would not notify HP of the modifications, it may void your warranty. It is a very good idea to install a thermal monitoring software. I use Speedfan. It's free and is feature rich, one of which has the ability to notify you by email, if thermal levels reach a predefined limit.
http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Your other option is to get a hardware monitoring device, something like the one below -
http://avtech.com/Products/Temperature_Monitors/TemPageR_3ER.htm

Hope it works. Please let me know of the results. All the best.
Romulus6cbc
Frequent Advisor

Can anyone please tell me, if according to the "Maintenance and Service Guide", system fans 1 to 3 are for the memory modules and processors, while system fan 4 is for the PCI slots and system chipsets; why is fan 3 running at the higher rpm when a PCIe expension card is installed? Shouldn't fan 4 be running at the higher rpm? According to my data analysis, fan 4 always runs at the lowest rpm, despite the PCIe configurations.