ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748139 Members
4174 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP DL 165 G6 very noisy - fan speed

JGP_1

Re: HP DL 165 G6 very noisy - fan speed

We are having same problem with a DL180G6 fan noise, running at around 7000RPM (six disks installed, redundant fan kit and an Adaptec SCSI card). Have gone through 2 case numbers with this, upgraded firmware, checked BIOS, ran diagnostics etc.. All temps in green zone and we had a HP tech out to have a look saying hardware is ok.

Only thing we did not do is remove the PCIe riser cage but we need that. Needless to say we have an upset customer since the server is in an open office. I wish they would have the same BIOS feature that let you change the cooling to Optimal, and I still believe this issue needs to be fixed in the BIOS.
irens
Advisor

Yeah. We had this problem too. This server (DL165G6) is so noisy, so we moved it to single room, with no one. By now there is silent in our office.

this server is so noisy and HP tech guy said: Evyrything is OK.

Sad.
stevekat
Advisor

Sounds like there is an issue with fan speed and add-in options. However, I cannot imagine trying to use these rack mount servers in an open office from past experience. Perhaps in a closet.
SHARE-Univ_Linz

Same issue here with a DL180 G6 and an external P420 controller. Neither the firmware updates dating march 2012 solve the issue. 3.000RPM with onboard controller only but 8.000 RPM with PCI riser cage plugged in. The noise is really unbearable. Will switch back to onboard controller and RAID 1...

THis is really a shame for

PS: The server is placed in a closet, but it's too loud even for that!!!

boomish

0down vote

Please login or register to vote for this post.
(click on this box to dismiss)

UNBELIEVABLE..

I Found the answer after A Ton of research and comparing two HP Dl180 G6's one with the fan noise issue and one without I Discovered the Problem.

So here is the issue.

On right hand side of the server behind the power button there is a Temperature sensor. When the motherboard stops registering that temp it assumes the incoming air is hotter then acceptable and ramps up the fan noise to compensate. The Really odd thing is that the absence of this sensor data doesn't raise any red flags in the system or ILO. It simply indicates no Data for the Front Panel Sensor.

When I swapped in the front panel from a known working server the problem went away. When I swapped in the bad sensor to a working server the problem followed the sensor to the new server.

The sensor is not a separate part number it is part of the Drive Bay.

I called HP and insisted they replace the Drive Bay so I could get a new sensor. The first Drive bay they sent me was Like for Like it was an 8 bay hotswap with the DVD-ROM Drive. Part # 507305-001. I swapped that in and the problem remained it still wasn't registering the temp sensor.

I called HP and had them replace it again. And again same problem.

Third call to HP I insisted they send me the Drive Bay for the 12 3.5 Inch hotswap unit. This matched the working server that I owned. When I received it I carefully moved the power button assembly to my 8 bay unit and plugged it in. It was magic. When it rebooted ILO reported the following

Generic 01/01/2002 00:02:14 FAN4_INLET Lower Critical-going low Assertion Generic 01/01/2002 00:03:34 FAN4_INLET Lower Critical-going low Assertion

Fan noise returned to normal and when I checked ILO and IPMI Data Front panel was registering Temp.

The part number for the 12 bay unit is 507254-001

The individual temp sensor didn't have any identifying marks on it and in all respects looked very similar. However there were some marked differences surrounding the Temperature sensor chip. On the 8 bay unit it was covered in epoxy. On the 12 bay unit it was free and open.

My guess is this is a Manufacturing Defect.

I notified HP Engineering about the issue and provided them the same details as I am listing here.

I hope this helps someone out.

Good Luck.
Buggy
Occasional Visitor

Has anyone seen a resolution to the DL 180 G6 fan problem? 

I found this thread after having the same fan speed issue. I run this at home in my utility room and its just way too loud so I looked at the tips here to fix it and it does lower the speed all the way down to 3k or so on all 8 fans when the PCI card and riser are completely gone but once I put the card in (I Have a Dell H200 in there it goes all the way back into the 7-8k range on the fans. I tried the trick to plug the Raid card directly into the PCIe slot but that doesn't help at all with the H200 apparently. All the tests above mention using the P410 so it must have some special firmware/sensor on it that the LO100 is reading that lets it keep the fans down. Using a random card like my Dell H200 sends the fan speeds right back up. 

Just wanted to see if anyone has found a resolution to this other than not using any PCIe cards at all. 

MatthewGreen

Hello

I thought I'd post my experience with our noisy DL180 G6. The server has been excessively noisy since purchase around 18 months ago. We logged a call with HP at the time, they came and replaced the 12 bay drive cage. No fix. Every few months I would check for firmware updates and apply. No fix.

I logged another call last week, HP turned up with another drive cage and mainboard. Installed the drive cage, no fix. Installed the mainboard and fixed!

Only took 18 months but a replacement mainboard fixed the issue for us. I should note our server has a P212 controller as some people have suggested this triggers the issue.

Thanks

Matthew

Darmach
Occasional Visitor

Do you remember what was the name of the front panel sensor as seen in ilo?

I have a bunch of sensors, wonder if any of the non-working ones might be the faulty front panel sensor:

Embedded Health Status

Location     Status     Reading     Thresholds  

Temp 1:     System Zone     Ok     18C     Caution: 42C; Critical:47C  

Temp 2 (CPU 1):     System 1     Ok     44C     Caution: 82C; Critical:83C  

Temp 3 (CPU 2):     System 2     Ok     40C     Caution: 82C; Critical:83C  

Temp 4:     Memory Zone     Ok     36C     Caution: 87C; Critical:92C  

Temp 5:     Memory Zone     Ok     39C     Caution: 87C; Critical:92C  

Temp 6:     System Zone     n/a     n/a     Caution: 99C; Critical:99C  

Temp 7:     System Zone     n/a     n/a     Caution: 99C; Critical:99C  

Temp 8 (MemB0):     Memory Zone     Ok     29C     Caution: 62C; Critical:67C  

Temp 9 (MemB0):     Memory Zone     Ok     28C     Caution: 61C; Critical:66C  

Temp 10 (MemB0):     Memory Zone     Ok     27C     Caution: 61C; Critical:66C  

Temp 12 (MemB1):     Memory Zone     Ok     32C     Caution: 66C; Critical:71C  

Temp 13 (MemB1):     Memory Zone     Ok     31C     Caution: 65C; Critical:70C  

Temp 14 (MemB1):     Memory Zone     Ok     33C     Caution: 70C; Critical:75C  

Temp 15:     System Zone     Ok     37C     Caution: 57C; Critical:62C  

Temp 16:     System Zone     Ok     28C     Caution: 50C; Critical:55C  

Temp 17:     System Zone     Ok     31C     Caution: 58C; Critical:63C  

Temp 18:     System Zone     Ok     50C     Caution: 110C; Critical:115C  

Temp 19:     System Zone     Ok     35C     Caution: 57C; Critical:62C  

Temp 20:     System Zone     Ok     31C     Caution: 53C; Critical:58C  

Temp 21:     System Zone     Ok     36C     Caution: 53C; Critical:58C  

Temp 22 (PCIR):     I/O Board Zone     n/a     n/a     Caution: 99C; Critical:99C  

Temp 23 (PCIR):     I/O Board Zone     n/a     n/a     Caution: 99C; Critical:99C  

Temp 24 (PCIR):     I/O Board Zone     n/a     n/a     Caution: 99C; Critical:99C  

Temp 25 (PCIR):     I/O Board Zone     n/a     n/a     Caution: 99C; Critical:99C  

Temp 26:     Storage Zone     Ok     0C     Caution: 99C; Critical:99C  

Temp 27:     Storage Zone     Ok     0C     Caution: 99C; Critical:99C  

Temp 28:     Storage Zone     Ok     0C     Caution: 99C; Critical:99C  

Temp 29:     Storage Zone     Ok     0C     Caution: 99C; Critical:99C  

Temp 30:     Storage Zone     Ok     0C     Caution: 99C; Critical:99C  

Temp 31:     Storage Zone     Ok     0C     Caution: 99C; Critical:99C              

What was the fan speed in your case? 14k rpm - maximum? Mine are working around 47% all the time - still bloody loud though. (Not sure how many rpms is that, as neither ilo2 nor ipmi report speed in rpm, percentage only.