New Discussion

Re: HP DL 380 G8 V2 - SATA HDD 4 TB and 2 TB compatibility

SOLVED
Go to solution
FasterSoft
Occasional Advisor

HP DL 380 G8 V2 - SATA HDD 4 TB kompatibility

Hi all,

by rebuld new arrays on SmartArray 420 there are 2 x SAS 1 TB  (Raid 1), 2 x SATA 2 TB (Raid 1) and 3 x SATA 4 TB (2,5 Zoll Seagate Barracuda - Raid 5) there are permanent problems. The build is nearby complete finished and than a HDD light switched to orange and the other two HDD lights (for do not remove ...) switched on. 1. time it's allways the same new HDD. I ordered a new one, and the the next HDD light switches to orange ... The error says Failure HDD is not accessable.

Both 1 TB and 2 TB Raid 1 works allway fine.

Is there a known compatibility problem with Seagate Barracude 2,5 Zoll 4 TB, or 4 TB SATA?

6 REPLIES 6
Rhythm596
Frequent Advisor

Re: HP DL 380 G8 V2 - SATA HDD 4 TB kompatibility

Hi, 

Share the Serial Number and Model Number/Part Number of the drive so that we can look this up for you. 

Also, check with Seagate regarding the same in the meantime. 

Thank you

HPE Employee. 

FasterSoft
Occasional Advisor

Re: HP DL 380 G8 V2 - SATA HDD 4 TB kompatibility

Thanks for answer. There are 4 drives from the same type. All has the same problem. The first one is like below:

Type: ST4000LM024

PN: 2AN17V-566

FW: 0001

SN: Confidential info erased

I will check the same at Seagate.

FasterSoft
Occasional Advisor

Hi all, now I had rebuild all and uses 5 brand new 2 TB SATA HDD (Seagate Barracuda 3,5"" - ATAST 2000DM008-2FR1  FW:0001) to build another RAID and a 6. HDD as a spare HDD.

But another HDD type gets also problems. Within building the index the RAID goes wrong during 12 hours. One drive goes to signal=red and the logical drives damages.

The first logical drive RAID 1 contains 2 SAS HDD and this drive will not be damage. Only the SATA drives has problems over problems.

What's the problem with this Smartarray Controler 420i? Within a model DL380 G7 and Smartarray 420 I never had such problems.

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

I hope all is well.

Sorry to say, I did not understand your query.

Please explain the issue or what is the exact issue to understand the issue.

1.             What is the RAID group?
  2.             How many hard disk drive in one raid group.
  3.             How many spare or hot spare drive.
  4.             What is the server model because you have mentioned two server model DL 380 G8 V2 & DL380 G7.
  5.             The issue which server.

If any hard disks show Amber or RED LED means that hard disk failed.

As per hard disk failed which was showing a red LED.

NOTE: HPE recommends use only HPE hardware components in the HPE servers.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

FasterSoft
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Thanks for answer.

1.             What is the RAID group? 1 x Raid 1 (2 x 1TB SAS-HDD), 1 x RAID 5 (5x 2TB SATA-HDD), 1xRaid (2x 2 TB SATA)
  2.             How many hard disk drive in one raid group. See above
  3.             How many spare or hot spare drive. 1 x   Spare drive for RAID 5 
  4.             What is the server model because you have mentioned two server model DL 380 G8 V2 & DL380 G7. DL 380 G8 V2 was the problem server
  5.             The issue which server. No way to build a RAID 5 with 4 x 4 TB SATA HDD.

The firmaware of the Smartarray 420i controller was up to date.

After some config deletions, replacement of the 3x 4TB SATA HDD with 5 x 2 TB HDD and new build of all RAID it works now. But the build of the index  of the now 8 TB Raid5 needs 4 days. In this time I don't think the build goes successfully finished, but it does

Thanks all for help 

Happy and healthy Easter

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

I hope you are doing good.

Please let us know if you have any other queries.

Because of RAID 5 stripes data and parity bits across all disks, it is very tolerant of single-disk failures, although this reduces the disk capacity slightly. If a disk fails, it simply has to be replaced and the system can go on. Further data reads are calculated from the parity so that end-users do not even notice the disk failure.

RAID 5 is similar to RAID 4, but the dedicated drive used for parity was removed and replaced with a distributed algorithm. This resolves the bottlenecks caused by a dedicated parity disk.

Advantages:

• Can tolerate the loss of a single drive
  • Good random read performance
  • Good sequential read and write performance

Disadvantages:

• Parity calculation may slow down the system
  • Can use N-1 drive space.
  • Due to parity overhead, random write performance takes a hit

Time is of the Essence

The fundamental problem is that it takes too long to fill the large disks we are now using just to regain redundancy. All of these RAID levels will use a single disk to replace a failed disk and all will need to fill the one disk with data. The time it takes to recover from the failed disk cannot be less than the size of the disk divided by its sequential write speed. For a 72GB disk with an 80MBps write rate we get 72,000MB / 80MBps = 900 seconds, about 15 minutes. This is an acceptable rebuild time and ten years ago when we used 72GB disks RAID was good.  Today we use at least 1TB disks and their sequential write rate has only gone up to around 115MBps, the same math is 1,000,000MB / 115MBps = approximately 8700 seconds which is nearly two and a half hours. If you are using 4TB disks then your rebuild time will be at least ten hours.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo