5971 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP DL380 G5 server issues

tom_4679
Occasional Visitor

HP DL380 G5 server issues

Hi All,

I have a HP DL380 G5 server, i have 16GB RAM installed and the server boots up no problem. When i install 24GB ram the server does not boot up. It powers on for approx 3-4 secs then shutsdown.

I have slots 1A & 3A, and slots 2C & 4C poulated with 4GB 2Rx4 PC2-5300F-555-11. All the same chip set etc and this make up the 16GB. 

If i then install a further 2 x Ram sticks into slots 5B & 7B the server will not boot up. I have verified that all the ram sticks are not faulty by placing them into slots 1A & 3A in pairs.

Are you able to advise how i can resolve this issue? 

ps. I would like to eventually install 32GB ram however i need to get past 16GB...

Thanks

Tom 

5 REPLIES 5
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

See if the following requirements meet:

The following configuration requirements apply to all AMP modes:

• FBDIMMS must be ECC Registered DDR-2 SDRAM FBDIMMs.
  • FBDIMMs must be installed in pairs.
  • FBDIMM pairs in a memory bank must have identical HP part numbers.
  • FBDIMMS must be populated as specified for each AMP memory mode.

You may also try the following:

Clear NVRAM from System Maintenance Switch.

Check if Mirrored or Online spare memory is not configured.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee

Useful Links for ProLiant Servers

Self Solve Options for ProLiant Servers

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

tom_4679
Occasional Visitor

thank you for your response. i have done - Clear NVRAM from System Maintenance Switch

how do i check if Mirrored or Online spare memory is configured, and if so can it be easily unconfigured?

regards

tom

Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

It will be similar to this:

Configuring Online Spare Memory:

1. Access RBSU by pressing the F9 key during powerup when the prompt is displayed in the upper right corner of the screen.
  2. Select System Options .
  3. Select Advanced Memory Protection .
  4. Select Online Spare with Advanced ECC Support .
  5. Press the Enter key.
  6. Press the Esc key to exit the current menu or press the F10 key to exit RBSU.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee.

Useful Links for ProLiant Servers

Self Solve Options for ProLiant Servers

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

tom_4679
Occasional Visitor

thankyou for that info. 

Unfortunately it has not resolved the issue of the server shutting down upon restart with 24Gb ram installed. If i take out 8 GB, the server will boot with 16GB installed. I have tried the options you have suggested to no avail.

Currently, the ram sticks are populated in 1A & 3A and also 2C & 4C = 16GB - Server boots ok

If i install additional ram in slots 5B & 7B = 24GB - the server shutsdown.

Im unsure how to resolve this issue

waaronb
Respected Contributor

When in doubt, I like to refer to the quickspecs page for an overview:

DL380 G5 Quickspecs

The quickspecs page will give you the basics on memory population and any quirks to be aware of.

For example:

Upgrading Memory and Memory Interleaving
When upgrading memory, DIMMs 1A and 3A must match. DIMMs 5B and 7B, DIMMs 2C and 4C, and DIMMs 6D and 8D must
match and must be installed as a pair. When DIMMs 1A and 3A are populated the system is automatically configured for 2:1
interleaving. When all 4 banks are populated the system is automatically configured for 4:1 interleaving. When four, six, or eight
DIMMs are populated with identical DIMMs the system is automatically configured for bank interleaving.

Check all the memory and I guess just make sure they all work as pairs on their own.  Remove the 4 x 4GB modules you have and try using just the 2 new ones you have, installed into 1A and 3A.

Will it boot with just those two?  If so, then there's some issue with mixing and matching.  If it won't even work with those, then you know that one or both of those has some problem.

I think on the DL380 G5 you also need to pay attention to putting any modules with the highest rank furthest from the CPU (that's true of just about any system really).

And at the risk of being Captain Obvious here, have you checked that you're actually installing the new modules into the correct slots?  Remember that each of the 4 banks of 2 slots each are staggered.  Banks 5B and 7B are slots 5 and 7, not next to each other.  Just make sure you're not putting them into slots 5B and 6D or something weird.

Anyway, if your two new ones don't even work in 1A/3A, then you can replace one at a time with the modules you know work and see if you can find the bad one.  That's about your best shot right there.