ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748264 Members
3871 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP DL380 G7 - Power button state Yellow, won't turn ON the server! It works after 2-3 hours late

Knightnets

HP DL380 G7 - Power button state Yellow, won't turn ON the server! It works after 2-3 hours later!

HP DL380 G7 - Power button state Yellow, won't turn ON the server! It works after 2-3 hours later!

ILO works but will not turn it ON as well!

P.S. This thread has been moevd from ProLiant Servers - Netservers to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL).   - Hp Forum Moderator

9 REPLIES 9
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: HP DL380 G7 - Power button state Yellow, won't turn ON the server! It works after 2-3 hours late

Hi,

Any thing in the IML log?

Perform the basic troubleshooting:

Remove any additional devices that are not important for booting the server.

Remove any external devices except power, keyboard and mouse.

Remove additional RAM, PCI Cards, etc and leave minimum RAM for server to boot.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Jim_K
Occasional Visitor

We appear to be having a similar problem with our DL380 G7 Servers.  What we have been able to determine is that it appears to be temperature-related (at approximately 30 degrees Celsius).  This is well below the overtemp specification.  Our first documented failure of this occurance dates back to 11/2012.  We started noticing an increasing failure rate with similar symptoms in the following months.  We attributed this (at the time) to what we thought were different problems.  We are now finding that this discrepancy is pervasive in DL380 G7 servers with the serial number string USE038...  We have been testing all of these servers (that have exhibited the failure) over temperature and have found that the failure to boot problem occurs at approximately 30 degrees Celsius (plus or minus a degree or so).  Our intial determination is that there may be some sort of latent defect in the motherboards of this serial number string and it is just now starting to rear its head.  Can you provide any specific information as to the nature of the failure, approximate age of the server, run time and serial number?  I am wondering if the 2-3 hour wait time is the cooling time necessary so the server to drop below the 30 degree zone that we have been questioning...

Thanks,

Jim

scharchouf
Trusted Contributor

Can you give us the led for :

Systems Insight Display LEDs

waaronb
Respected Contributor

I wonder if it's not some other temp sensor besides the ambient one.

The IML should (in theory) give the details about which temp zone reached it's critical point and forced the server into thermal protection mode.

Check the IML. If it's not giving any indication of the reason for shutdown, then it's probably not thermal protection. In my experience, the only times I've seen a reboot without anything being logged is when there was some buggy memory that went beyond what Advanced ECC could detect.

But even then, that was just a reboot, not a shutdown.

I think even in a thermal shutdown situation, you can still look in ILO and get the IML info that way. I don't know if the temp sensors will show anything since the system isn't running.

It might be worth setting up some external SNMP monitoring to read the values of the temp sensors and see what the trendlines look like. Nagios or Orion NMP or something similar. The Proliant MIB will give you a clue what the SNMP OIDs are to read those values.

It's actually kind of fun to track server temps over extended periods because you can see how it trends with workloads. Like I can look at just the temps and tell which server in a 2-node cluster was running SQL at the time. :)

I can also tell when our colo changed their cooling around or if they're having airflow problems. Right now I can see that in early March, the ambient temps by our cabinet went from 70F to 85F, for instance. Those turkeys. :)
TechTim

Quick thought and I realize you may have this fixed by now (but I saw others had this same issue on other threads). 

I had the same problem when I first got the server. It was then I learned that my chassis didn't like just one button push. It requires 2 in rapid succession. I had forgotten about it, and had shutdown the server for a VMWare upgrade today (so no hardware was touched), and experienced the same problem again. Started searching and freaking out, and eventually remembered the double tap. Booted like a champ... esxi upgrade complete everything tests perfect. Try it out before pulling out any hair.

Regards,

Tim- 

Tim Willett
Occasional Contributor

We are having the same issue, was there any resolution to this besides replacing the server motherboard?  We are out of warranty but this is still a really good server we would like to save it if we can.

Thanks

Tim

waaronb
Respected Contributor

I *just* had this happen (well, last Thursday) on a DL380 G6 (not a G7). Bummed me out...

It's in a remote datacenter so I won't be able to look at it for probably a couple months. For now I setup a virtual machine and restored the necessary functions, but it was still a huge pain.

The symptoms were similar... the server went down for some un-logged reason (the IML didn't show anything). ILO works just fine but pressing the virtual power button doesn't turn it on.

I'm guessing it's a bad memory module since that would keep the system from POSTing, but even still, the system *should* turn on and show that in the ILO, right?

I thought maybe it was a thermal shutdown, but it didn't log anything... It's been really frustrating. I spent a couple straight days restoring stuff onto a temporary VM, and fortunately this was only a psuedo-production system (just some reporting features for the most part).

When I do finally get on-site, my plan is to first see what, if any, error lights show up on the display. Then I'll start pulling stuff out, leaving just a single memory module or whatever and hope I can get it to POST at least.

I've done about everything else I could do remotely... cycled power to it (we have smart power strips there), let it sit powered off for a few hours in case it was overheated, etc. But nothing.

The other systems in the same cabinet aren't showing any radical increases in ambient temp. It's slightly warmer on the data floor for whatever reason (in the summer months I don't think the collocation facility keeps the cold aisles as cold as they are in winter).

By removing everything except the bare essentials, I should hopefully be able to get it to boot, otherwise it's destined for the spare parts heap after I grab any remaining data off the drive array (from another working system). :(
dbdataplus

For what it's worth this problem persists in 2017.   Same problem - exactly.    I had considered a known HP issue where the ILO ram is corrupted when it tries to write to the NVRAM to log the power fail just as the power fades ... that supposedly is corrected by removing the power supplies and the CMOS battery to completely clear the world ... then reinstalling and powering up with Switch 6 on .... etc.   Then making sure that the ILO is beyond whatever version ..... blah blah blah

Needless to say we did all that, several times.   Finally removed the server from the computer room to the lab, where it auto powered up after 30 seconds.   So, wow. back the the server room ... where it refused to power up.,   Back to the lab, take it apart, reset everything (again) and still no power up for over an hour

There are a series of LEDS on the motherboard  near the onboard P410's memory module and 0,1,2&3 are stuck ON for the entire time.    Thing is, I can't find ANY documentation on these LEDs.

Anyone