8481 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion ī„‚

Re: HP ML310eGen8 noisy fan on the optimal cooling setting

Kay3
Visitor

HP ML310eGen8 noisy fan on the optimal cooling setting

Hi there,

we have a HP ML310eGen8 E3-1220v2 NHP GR Svr/TV Server with the SN: Confidential Info Erased here. The Server is set to the lowest cooling option optimal cooling. The fan 2 in the front periodically speeds up to 100% and down again, which is very noisy. This happens almost every minute. I read that this noise problem is old and common known, which can appear on some machines of this type. A solution could be, I read that here, could be to update the BIOS and/ or the  storage controller firmware.

Where can I find a guide on how to do that? Where can I see the bios and the storage controllers firmware version? If possible without a reboot?  Also I'm not sure if this server has a storage controller. I'm not sure but I think the server has 4 HDDs installed. If possible I would like to reduce reboots to a minimum.

Regards

3 REPLIES 3
FabioC1
HPE Pro

Hi  Kay3 

Can you see all informartion by ILO without reboot the system.

Do you have ILO configurated ?

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c03334051

Normaly Update the BIOS, ILO and Smart Array solve the fan noise.

What System Operation do you use ?

FabioC1 - HPE Pro

Accept or Kudo

Kay3
Visitor

On the server runs a Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 and we don't have iLO installed. I'll have a look in the PDF that FabioC1 linked, to figure out how to install iLO on that server. From a quick gaze it looks like iLO is some sort of a management software that runs on a dedicated server to manage multiple HP servers. As we only have one HP server this could be overkill, but if it helps to solve the noise I'll give it a try. Now I need to figure out how to install iLO on this server, which means RTFM, I guess.

Kay3
Visitor

If I got this right, page 33 ff from the linked manual states that I need to install SSP for that server which contains iLO management and iLO drivers. If I'm right, where do I find the SSP download? I searched the HP page, without success. :-/

Do I have to sign some sort of a contract with HP to download it? Do I have to pay HP? Which version of SPP should I install as we are running Windows Server 2008 R2 and not the latest Windows Server OS? I fear that Windows Server 2008 R2 could be unsupported be SSP today?

Thanks for your help

Edit: It looks like SSP 2017.04.0 is the latest for Gen8 servers and Windows 2008 R2 servers. Is that correct? Do I need to pay to download it?