ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752798 Members
5997 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP ML350 G6 System Critical Failure LED, system won’t turn on (stay on)

SOLVED
Go to solution
PTCsupport
Occasional Advisor

yes

PTCsupport
Occasional Advisor

In this case  HP central will perform power on and switch of task to identify the source

Observed is 

Removed Bios Battery  (bios)

server go to green without press bottom

PTCsupport
Occasional Advisor

not my case

ambmorais

Just adding some info that can be useful for someone.

I have a ML350 G6 with EXACTLY the same behaviour and after nearly 2 days looking for a solution, it turned out being a slightly loose connector.

pseud
Advisor

Like @ambmorais I'm posting to this v old thread because it seems to carry the most information on this machine and problem.  Also, checked this thread and this post on ServerFault - if anyone can track down document c03212774 linked to on the ServerFault post it might be helpful.

I've installed a graphics card which pulls 130W but with the Graphics Card Power Cable to the power supply backplane.  I believe from somewhere that the machine should provide 75W from the pcie socket and 75W from the Graphics Card Power Cable - so, should support a 130W card.  Also installed, the second SFF hard drive cage (empty of drives) and P410 controller.  There's two 750W power supplies

Here's the gorry details (lots) of what's going on:
1/ The LEDs that I read are indicative of functioning ILO2 flash on/ off (asynchronously) - they are the left most two (7 & of 8 LEDs directly to the left of the Power Supply Connectors;
2/ ILO2 works;
3/ On switching power on (the server is set to automatically power on):
a/ The power supply fans spin up;
b/ The 4 LEDs directly to the left of the System Power Connectors light in a certain order (1+3, 1+3+4, 1+2+3+4) - then go out together (about the time of the second cycle below);
c/ One of two ILO2 LEDs then goes out (the left hand one - LED 8 - about the time of the second cycle below) while the machine appears to attempt to boot 5 times before giving up - on each boot attempt:
i) Both the main board power supply failure LEDs flash together once;
ii) The fans spin up for about a second and then stop, and;
iii) The green LEDs on the back of the power supplies light with the fans;
The sequence is repeated 5 times before finally giving up;
iv) The extinguished ILO2 LED (LED comes back on and the two resume their on/ off flashing.
4/ On pressing the power button once, the machine appears to go through one of the above cycles - perhaps slightly longer;
5/ On pressing and holding the power button, the machine has a very good attempt at keeping on going (for a few extra seconds) before giving up, but then trying again a bit shorter and then a final pathetic attempt giving up fairly quickly.

If anyone out there is still poking around one of these machines and has any pointers, it'd be really appreciated.

pseud
Advisor

After removal of the wrong graphics card power cable (P/N: 506302-001 for DL/ML370 g6 ONLY) from the power supply bakeplane, normal service has been resumed!

See my posts here:
https://community.hpe.com/t5/servers-general/ml350-g6-gpu-power-cable-part-number/m-p/7207784/highlight/true#M19526