1753481 Members
3917 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP ML350e Gen8 Fan Noise

Sean Corbett
Advisor

I am an HP field engineer that is working on a case with the exact problem talked about in this thread.  My case has been elevated to a higher level of support within HP.  If and when I get some answers on how to fix this issue I will post the info up here for everyone.  The server I'm currently working on is an ML350e Gen8 with a single processor and no redundant fan kit.  It also has no PCIe cards plugged in.

I am an HP employee

*** If my answer helped you click on the KUDOS star on the left to say Thanks ***
yudah

can you please try this action plan its work for me :

1. update the server by spp 2013

2. move jumper 6 to on to clear nvram

thanks

Oekandana

had the same issue with ML350p GEN8

all fans at high speed, even after reset switch 6

server was brand new, shipped with SPP 2013

ILO flashed to 1.22 -> no less noise.

what helped for me :

* reseated all the FAN one by one

* reseated the complete FAN cage 

* repower

-> startup speed of FANS was low now, and stays low

issue solved :-)

Nezza_815
Occasional Visitor

Hi

I also have a ML3503 Gen8 with the exact same issue. BIOS current, SPP installed. Initially it was at the work office getting setup. The speed/sound of the fans would differ everytime a reboot was performed. Then at the HP POST screen it was showing a Fan 3 error. I swapped fan 3 with fan 4, but it was still showing a fan 3 error - not good. Gave the logs to HP support and they said the iLO was out of date so I ran the update to version 1.22 and it solved the fan issue...

But then I moved it to its new location and the loud speeding fans happened again. Re-booted several times but no difference. Troubelshoot the issue with HP again, who went through all the basic steps (BIOS current, SPP installed, iLO current) Logged into the server to check the HP management log to show fan 3 was failing and repairing every 1 minute.

I resolved this by turning off the server, disconnected the fan 3 from the board and from the fan slot, re-attached it in place, made sure the cable wasnt touching the RAM and fired up again - fans running normal, no loud sounds. Hooray!

However in this case, it maybe an issue with the connection on the system board for that fan 3. After the fix, the server was shutdown to be re-connected to the UPS and it fired up fine, so I'll just have to keep monitoring it.

hb_tech
Occasional Visitor

after you resolved the issue, what % were the fans running at?
I have a server that's running at 40% with ambient at 16 degrees, only 2 fans.
If I install more can I expect the fan speed to drop or is it pointless?

Atomizer
Advisor

I have the same issue with a ML350e gen8.

HP Support are working on a solution and they suposely have a beta bios that should solve this problem. I'm still trying to get them to send me this bios so I can test it out.

Please let me know I any of you find a solution as well as I will be posting any solution I find here.

Thanks in advance.

Zeaba
Occasional Visitor

Have an ML350p Gen8 with the exact same issue. BIOS current, SPP installed, windows 2011 SBS full updated - the server is extremely quite for 40 minutes and it goes crazy for 20 minutes and then gets silent again for 40 minutes and crazy for 20 minutes keep happening every hour.  

Yes all parts are HP, no additional devices are installed, and server not connect to any workstations and is located in an aircon room. 

Am sure there’s an issue with BIOS and the fan management section as it seem to be on a timer when all fans goes on full speed and is not heat related.

We need to have the server delivered to customer and am sure his not going to be happy and my asked for a refund.  Please provide a solutions ASAP.  

kchpase

I have a new ML350p Gen8 with similar fan noise, NO PCI cards.  The fans ran at normal speed until today.  I'm running VMware esxi 5.1.  If I can't get a resolution soon, I'm going to have to return it to the reseller and go back with Dell, which I do not want to do.

Atomizer
Advisor

Well, I got hold of the beta bios and it did change the behavior of the fans slightly but didn't solve the problem. Then yesterday HP wrote that they have identified my problem to be due to the SCSI card reporting the wrong temperatures of the harddrives in the server. They have just released a fix for this problem, in form of a new firmware for the card. I updated it yesterday and haven't heard the server since, so fingers crossed.

The release notes states amoung other things:

• A potential intermittent lag in reporting hard drive temperatures, which could cause unnecessary fan speed oscillations, no longer occurs.

Please note that, at least when I did the upgrade, the installer will report that the firmware you are about to install is older than the one already installed. That just a flaw in the upgrade process and you can safely ignore that in my experience.

Firmware can be optained here: 

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&sp4ts.oid=5177962&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.tpst=bd9b6997fbc7fc515f4cf4626f5c8d01&javax.portlet.prp_bd9b6997fbc7fc515f4cf4626f5c8d01=wsrp-navigationalState%3Didx%253D%257CswItem%253DMTX_392699655335408d82997a6669%257CswEnvOID%253D40...

Atomizer
Advisor

Just an update: The fans have stayed around 10-20% all day today. That is considerable longer than ever before so it really seems this has fixed the problem for me. Please let me know if this solves the problem for you as well?