1748168 Members
4282 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP Proliant 310e V2 Gen 8 - cannot install grub

hplinuxman
Collector

HP Proliant 310e V2 Gen 8 - cannot install grub

I have just installed Debian on a new HP Proliant 310e V2 Gen 8 server. I have been installing Linux on desktops, laptops, servers (only Dell) for over 15 years. I know my way around multiple Linux distros, but prefer apt-based systems, especially Debian Stable for servers.

I converted the entire partition into a physical area for encryption, followed by LVM, and partitioning into /, /tmp, /var, /home and swap. The install was unremarkable but I could not install grub to MBR.

I have a mystery partition (about 256 MB in size) that was untouched during the install. I assume it contains all the extra software that HP has preloaded (like Intelligent Provisioning, etc.).

How do I boot into my install?

2 REPLIES 2
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Sounds like the VID (Virtual Install Disk) is enabled, go into RBSU and disable it.  It is a read only partition that if enabled will appear to Linux as /dev/sda and most distros will try to install the bootloader to it. Since it is read only this fails.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
hplinuxman
Collector

Thanks.

I just went into the BIOS (F9) and checked under Advanced Options. Its disabled.

Any other ideas?