ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753846 Members
7808 Online
108807 Solutions
New Discussion

HP Proliant DL380e G8 - 1798-Slot X Drive Array - Cache Module Self-Test Error Occurred

yurimley
Occasional Contributor

HP Proliant DL380e G8 - 1798-Slot X Drive Array - Cache Module Self-Test Error Occurred

Hello I recently bought a Hp proliant DL380e G8, which has just 1 month of use. When I turn it on is reporting an error from the disk controller (HP Smart Array B320i Dynamic):

I have read the document "HP ProLiant Servers - POST Error Messages and Beep Codes" and this tells me the following:

-POST Error: 1798-Slot X Drive Array - Cache Module Self-Test Error Occurred - Caching is disabled

Possible Cause: Array accelerator failed self-test. Depending on the array controller model, the cache may be disabled or the controller  might not be usable until this problem is corrected.

Action: Replace the array accelerator daughter board.

Please I need help to solve this problem, I do not think the card is damaged. Would appreciate the help.

Regards

Yuri

2 REPLIES 2
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: HP Proliant DL380e G8 - 1798-Slot X Drive Array - Cache Module Self-Test Error Occurred

Hi,

Power OFF the server and open the chassis.

Make sure the cache module is properly connected to the controller.

The error may occur due to a hardware failure or loose connection between cache module and controller or due to Firmware.

Update controller firmware if possible.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

FrustratedAdam
Occasional Advisor

Re: HP Proliant DL380e G8 - 1798-Slot X Drive Array - Cache Module Self-Test Error Occurred

Just had this same issue, turned out to be a defective cache module. Do not trust the green led indicators, do not always read true(mine was all green). 

Luckily Server had two Raid controllers. 

Troubleshooting Steps working with HP Support Engineer: 

1. Update all firmware (Do a custom download, to create an acceptable boot iso disc. Mine was only 2.1 gb after selecting Firmware and OS) 

2. Swap battery power reboot look at messages

3. Swap actual cache modules, see if problem follows that controller by watching boot up messages. If you don't have two raid controllers, you will need to get another cache module to test.

Good Luck, 

-Adam