ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752671 Members
5561 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: hp proliant dl80 - replacing cache memory module with battery.

papiomark
Occasional Contributor

hp proliant dl380e - replacing cache memory module with battery.

Hi,

I have hp proliant dl380e gen8 that doesn't boot to windows. I tried to reseat the smart array controller and the server was boot up to windows. But found on iLO logs that the smart array module was Failed (Status message: Smart array P420 in slot 3 cache status problem detected). Found also drive#11 degraded and drive#13 no led light status but the health status is OK (Drive configuration: spare). 

Question: 

1. Is the configuration affected  when I replaced the cache memory module? 

2. Do I need to replaced the Drive#13?

Your prompt attention to this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thank you  

3 REPLIES 3
Bunsol
HPE Pro

Hi, We see that there are couple of issues seen as per information shared. If cache shows failed in ILO but still works after a reseat which means that there is a cache issue and needs to be dealt with. However the concern is the Drive 11 which has failed probably is a genuine failure but the drive in Bay 13 may have an issue with the LED hence still detecting even if LED is not working. So the best course of action will be to first backup the data then check the firmware of the controller to make sure that this is not a reporting issue by checking the firmware release of the controller. Not sure what raid you have configured hence will not be able to comment on replacement of the drives. For Drive 13 with no LED the LED actually comes from the HDD backplane which could be the issue or the HDD caddy itself. Hence we strongly recommend you to log a case with us to have a thorough diagnostics done. Backup of data is a must as HPE is not responsible for any data loss. Regards, Bunsol

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! Thumbs below!
I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
papiomark
Occasional Contributor

Hi Bunsol,

Thank you for the information you've shared.

We plan ro replace the HP 2GB Flash-Backed Write Cache (FBWC) Memory Module G8 633543-001 AND HP Flash Backed Write Cache (FBWC) Capacitor (Battery). BUT I am not sure if the raid configuration will be wipe out after the replacement.

Please see below Raid config.

Bay1 to Bay 11

450gb sas (Raid10)

Bay12 to Bay22

900gb sas (Raid10)

Can I upload the AHS logs to HPE support (if yes, please provide the link)

Bunsol
HPE Pro

Hi,

Cache replacement should not cause any data loss however given the fact there is one drive failure and another drive which has no LED we would again recommend you to backup the data first. The AHS log needs to be verified and for that you will have to log a support case/ticket with us using the below link:-

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/home

To check the AHS you will have to log a support ticket and then provide them the logs. Recommending you to again backup the data first.

Regards,

Bunsol

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! Thumbs below!
I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo