3721 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP ProLiant G8 Gen8 + P420i Controller + H222 SAS Controller didn`t work

bchristopeit
Occasional Visitor

HP ProLiant G8 Gen8 + P420i Controller + H222 SAS Controller didn`t work

Hi everybody,

I have a problem and I don`t find any solution for that. One of my customers need more space. I bought for the HP ProLiant G8 Gen8 two things:

HPE StorageWorks D2700 AJ941A
Höheneinheiten: 2, Anzahl Laufwerkschächte: 25 ×, Schnittstellen: SAS; SFF-8088, RAID,
Festplatten Formfaktor: 2,5", inkl. 2x SAS Kabel, 3 Jahre Garantie 3/0/0

HPE H222 SAS/SATA HBA 650926-B21 (Ansteuerungscontroller)
Anzahl Kanäle: 8 ×, Schnittstelle Hardware: PCI-Express, Datenanschluss Seite B: SFF-8087; SFF-
8088, Anzahl Ports: 2, Transferrate: 768 Mbit/s, Formfaktor: Full-Height; Low-Profile, zu Proliant
Gen8 Server

I installed the H222 card and connected the D2700. After I have started the server I joined the HP Intelligent Provisioning with F10. Bevor HP Intelligent Provisioning started I have saw that the 4 new Harddrives were detected. Now I started the Firmeware update. After this the latest Version for G8 Gen8 of the HP Intelligent Provisioning was installed and all the other firmeware to. If I start the SSA I only see the iP420 controller. I don`t see the H222. So I can`t create a raid and I can`t add it to my ESXi system. Is there anything wrong?

Could someone help me? I called the HP support and they told me "You must see the H222 at the SSA". I told them I don`t see nothing. If I want to add a datastore to the ESXI I see all 4 single hdds. But I need a raid.

Sorry my englisch isn`t the best and I hope you understand my problem.

1. Added H222 to ProLiant G8 Gen8
2. Connected D2700 with SAS cable to the H222
3. Started HP Intelligent Provisioning -> SSA and nothing to configure

2 REPLIES 2
PiterParker
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Could you check in which mode controller is operating in BIOS. 

Is it in RAID mode or HBA mode. 

As well in SSA if you can see controller in BIOS you should be able to expand available array controllers. 

Expendable menu will show once you will click on the top of SSA menu tab.

Let me know about your progress. 

Regards, 

Piotr

Thomas Martin
Trusted Contributor

Hello,

the H222 is a Host Bus Adapter which does not support Raid. As you mentioned you can use the 4 HDDs as single disks.

Better to use a HP Smart Array P421/2GB FBWC 6Gb 2-ports Ext SAS Controller 631674-B21, you can see this controller in the SSA.

Or HP Smart Array P421/1GB FBWC 6Gb 2-ports Ext SAS Controller 631673-B21

Regards

Thomas