ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748076 Members
5415 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Proliant ML310 HotSwap

WDuffy

HP Proliant ML310 HotSwap

I bought an ML310 with the HotSwap capability. I'm not sure if I've misunderstood what the hotswap feature does but here is my problem.

I want to basically plug drives in and remove drives when I want without a reboot, so I can perform backups on alternating drives each night and take other drives off location. However, when i insert or remove a drive nothing seems to happen. Does the hotswap facility only work when RAID is setup? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

please detail which Ml310 generation?
which type of HDDs
which controller?

thanks
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
WDuffy

Hi Karlo, the details are...

Ml310 generation
G5

which type of HDDs
4 drives all of which are 250 GB - hot-swap - Serial ATA-150 - 7200 rpm

Current drive setup is
Drive 1 - Operating System
Drive 2 - Data drive
Drive 3 - Backup Drive One
Drive 4 - Backup Drive Two

which controller?
Type: 1 x Serial ATA - integrated
Controller Interface Type: Serial ATA-150
RAID Level: RAID 0, RAID 1

thanks
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

so

Drive 1 - Operating System
Drive 2 - Data drive
Drive 3 - Backup Drive One
Drive 4 - Backup Drive Two

Drive 1 and Drive 2 are RAID 0?
if so no changes to remove any HDD since RAID 0 is raid 0

and Drive 3 and Drive 4? RAID 1?
yes you can remove 1 HDD since the other will take all the activity since RAID 1 is fault tolerance but since you got Embedded SATA controller rebuild process is not automatic you must download the HP SATA RAID manager to initiate Rebuild manually(open software and follow procedure search in help how to do it use rebuild) and have a copy once is done you remove and insert previous HDD and rebuilt manually again yes you have to do it like that it is a Embedded SATA that's why

I linked sata manager for W2003

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3580655&prodNameId=3580656&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-3f27718395524ff393ffc94d2d

bye
WDuffy

I don't have RAID set up at all. This is why I was wondering if I must set up raid in order to use the hotswap system. Your explanation above makes sence with the fault tolerance RAID 1 offers, so does that mean I need RAID setup to have the ability to add/remove drives on the fly?
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

yes of course you need RAID 1 to have hot plug capabilities