7233 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

HP Proliant ML370 G4 Server Sound

pope-2009
Occasional Advisor

HP Proliant ML370 G4 Server Sound

Hallo,

I got a used HP ML370 G4 server from our office in good working condition,before it had windows server 2003 R2..I formated it and installed windows 7 Proffessional 64 bit,since i wanted to used it as a personal computer at home.

I will be using it maybe in the evening every day for maybe 5 hours after work and during weekends ,just to watch movies,read documents and basic tasks.Is there any harm in this since it produces some noise whilst on...and my house isnt as cold as the server room in our office?

I like its xeon processor since it fast.The only problem am having is that it doesnt produce audio...it also doesnt have the audio input/output ports.

Considering i wanted to connect it to a home theater system while watching movies ...kindly kind me on what i need to do to make it's audio work.

3 REPLIES 3
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: HP Proliant ML370 G4 Server Sound

pope-2009 wrote:

Considering i wanted to connect it to a home theater system while watching movies ...kindly kind me on what i need to do to make it's audio work.

Unlike desktop systems, servers generally don't have embedded sound cards. Your only option is to install a 3rd party stand up sound card. The ML370 G4 has 4 PCI-X and 2 PCIe slots for additional option cards.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
pope-2009
Occasional Advisor

Thanks.

I will enquire about a usb sound card.. i guess the internet one for pci slot is way expensive..

What about the noise...is there a way i can minimise the noise the server is making?

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@pope-2009 wrote:
What about the noise...is there a way i can minimise the noise the server is making?

Make sure the system ROM and all the other firmware is up to the latest versions. If I recall on the G4 systems, for them to really run quiet you needed to have the health driver loaded. You might experiment with some of the health drivers from Windows Server 2008 and see if they will load in your Windows 7 setup.  I don't know that you will ever get it quiet enough for home use.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!