ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752735 Members
5522 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

HP StorageWorks NAS 2000s question

Xaneth

HP StorageWorks NAS 2000s question

We have a NAS 2000s, and added four drives to the MSA 20 enclosure and created a RAID5 out of the drives. We are moving some data around, because whoever had control of this server before, set it up as RAID0 for some stupid reason, and we have no redundancy. So after moving the data and verifying it's moved, we have another four drive available for use in the MSA 20 and want to expand the RAID5 array to make more space. The problem I'm seeing so far, is that the batteries in the Smart Array 6402 are dead, so I've ordered new batteries and they're on their way.

What I'm unclear on, however, is if a 128 MB cache module is going to work for expanding the array. From what I've read elsewhere, it may require 512 MB of BBWC cache? Sorry, but I'm not finding much about BBWC? What is BBWC, and why would I need it to expand an array? I know this is older equipment, but it's all I have to work with.
1 REPLY 1
Mr. Jason Knight

Re: HP StorageWorks NAS 2000s question

Got everything figured out. Just had to get all failed batteries replaced, on both the 6402 as well as the MSA 20 controller on the enclosure itself. Once those batteries were replaced I was able to expand the array. BBWC - Battery Backed Write Cache, got it. Now to extend my array...