108786 Solutions
New Discussion

HP USB Flash Utility Fails While Creating Intelligent Provisioning Bootable Key

SOLVED
Go to solution
mrmorriskr
Occasional Contributor

HP USB Flash Utility Fails While Creating Intelligent Provisioning Bootable Key

The HP USB Flash Utility that comes with the lastest Intelligent Provisioning ISO [HPIP160.2014_0113.271.iso] version 1.6 or even version 1.7 fails to finish.  I also cannot copy the contents of the ISO to the key formatted by the USB Flash Utility.

A straight copy fails with the message "Invalid MS-DOS function." while copying gaius.img.gz.  Perhaps this is related?

This must work for somebody because I see many step by step articles on how to upgade Intelligent Provisioning from a USB key.

4 REPLIES 4
scharchouf
Trusted Contributor

Re: HP USB Flash Utility Fails While Creating Intelligent Provisioning Bootable Key

Server? Generation? OS?

when you boot ISO it can't finish Installation? there are error?

mrmorriskr
Occasional Contributor

Re: HP USB Flash Utility Fails While Creating Intelligent Provisioning Bootable Key

I am trying to update DL360e Gen8 to Intelligent Provisioning 1.6 for a Windows 2012 R2 MSDN install.  Failed attempts to flash using HP Flash Utility version 1.7 were run from Windows 7, 32 bit, straight off the Intelligent Provisioning ISO (virtually mounted) and Windows 2003 Enterprise 64 bit (installed version 1.7).

Two different flash keys where used (HP Key 16GB and ScanDisk Cruzer Glide 16GB).  Utility can format but copy fails.  Copy also fails with manual copy.  Need flash as not all servers have DVD reader.

Other problem is when updating using physical media burned from ISO the machine appears to be updated but IP version remains at 1.3 after reboot.  But for that problem I will create a new post.  The non-update update has occurred on every server we have attempted to update.  I'm rereading the User's Guide to see if I am missing something.

scharchouf
Trusted Contributor

OS Install: Get your Windows DVD

• Get your OS - Options:

–        Get your Windows DVD

–        Put an ISO on a Fat 32 USB key

–        Put an ISO on a network share

• Windows Support

–        64 Bit Only

–        Windows Server 2008 R2 and newer

to Install Or Update server you need to Perform actions into IP by press F10 when server BOOT

This Link can Help You :

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=4AA4-3130ENW&cc=us&lc=en

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/14275_div/14275_div.pdf

Video :

http://h30507.www3.hp.com/t5/Coffee-Coaching-HP-and-Microsoft/Intelligent-Provisioning-Maintenance-for-HP-ProLiant-Gen8-amp/ba-p/108581

mrmorriskr
Occasional Contributor
Solution

Problem was checksum of downloaded ISO was not correct.  First clue should have been that a simple DOS command line copy of the ISO contents failed.  Server IP upgrade from 1.3 to 1.6 not complaining about ISO contents was confusing.  Corrected ISO upgraded to IP 1.6 without issue.

I used fciv from Microsoft to verify the checksum.  In the future I will check the checksum.