3593 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HPE branded Windows Server 2016 OEM bios lock on Hyper-V server 2016 Host

alfcor
Occasional Visitor

HPE branded Windows Server 2016 OEM bios lock on Hyper-V server 2016 Host

Hi,

I tryed to install Win server 2016 as a VM on a Hyper-v server 2016 Host but get the following erro:

"Failed Bios Lock: "

Tried to solve with a solution posted for Win server 2008 and win server 2012  in this same HPE community:

https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/TIP-How-to-install-a-HP-branded-Windows-OS-as-a-virtual-server/td-p/6880089

but it didn't work.

I can find a solution for VMWare host, but what I need is for Microsoft Windows Server 2016 on a  Hyper-V server 2016 Host.

Can some one Help?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
alfcor
Occasional Visitor

Hi again,

Forgot to past all the text of the error message

“Failed BIOS Lock: This installation media may be used only on hardware manufactured by: Hewlett Packard Enterprise.”

The Hyper-V Server 2016 is installed on a HPE DL380 Gen10 machine and when trying to install a VM with the HPE Windows Server 2016 (ROK) DVD .iso image, I get that error.

DANCOM
Occasional Visitor

if you follow the steps as per installing Windows Server 2012 with the registry entry it works. i just used it myself

– Execute the following command from the command prompt if the guest operating system is HP-branded Windows Server 2012/2016: Reg Add “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Virtualization” /v BiosLockString /t REG_SZ /d “HP                              ”
NOTE: In the following command line after the word “HP” there are 30 blank spaces before the quotation mark that must be entered as part of the command.