ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752782 Members
5806 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPE DL60 Gen9 - Reducing Fan Noise with SSD drives installed

larryqiann

HPE DL60 Gen9 - Reducing Fan Noise with SSD drives installed

Hi, I have a DL60 Gen9 server that runs RHEL8. It has the HP Agentless Management Service daemon running (hp-ams or amsd) normally and iLO4 reports that it is working correctly. However, all of the fans in the server run at 36%. The inlet temperature is 23C. There are two Micron M500 SATA SSDs installed in the system, and under Linux they report 30 C temperature. This temperature is not visible in iLO, and the fans do not run at 36% if the drives are not installed.

When the server starts up into the HP SSA Smart Storage Array configuration utility, the fans drop down to 11% or less. Is there any way to replicate this behaviour with the standard OS of the server? What other software components need to be installed in order for this to be possible?

I have read somewhere that reporting drive temperatures to iLO is a feature introduced in iLO 5. However, even with the system set to the RAID mode and the controller set up, the fans still run at 36%, which is an odd behaviour. The system firmware has been updated

Thank you!!!

3 REPLIES 3
Erdogan Temur
HPE Pro

Hi,

Because Micron SSD does not have the hpe firmware,Since the iLO can't read the hpe firmware from the SSD. it is normal for the fans to run at high speed.
I recommend use the HPE SSD.

Kind Regards,
Erdogan.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!

Accept or Kudo

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@Erdogan Temur wrote:

Hi,

Because Micron SSD does not have the hpe firmware,Since the iLO can't read the hpe firmware from the SSD. it is normal for the fans to run at high speed.
I recommend use the HPE SSD.

That doesn't really have anything to do with it.  For iLO4 to read the drive temps, it needs the proprietary RAID driver 'hpdsa' for the Dynamic Smart Array B140i.  With iLO5 the AMS driver will report the drive temps when the Dynamic Smart Array S100i is in SATA AHCI mode. The B140i RAID driver gets loaded with HPE SSA, so the fans spin down

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
RichardTR
Occasional Advisor

@Jimmy Vance sorry to dig up such a dead and buried thread but im having major issues and would appreciate your input.

Following several HP updates my fans are going nuts and one of my drives reporting high temps (made a thread on it if you want to check it out). Wondering if you were aware of any potential fixes I may have missed.